1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vaughan Williams - your favourite pieces

Discussion in 'classical' started by Barrymagrec, Oct 28, 2017.

1. eisenach

eisenach Thüringen

Funny, stumbled across this thread just after listening to the 4th.

Particular soft spots for An Oxford Elegy and 5 Tudor Portraits.

I, too, don't get on with N°2. As for the Sea Symphony, it depends what mood I'm in; the Whitman words can be a bit off-putting. Having sung it years ago in the Hereford 3 choirs festival, it earns its place, though.

2. nicetone

nicetone pfm Member

I’m also something of a Vaughan-Williams fan and have many CDs of his music. I initially picked up on the folksong origins of which I’d mention Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus.

I take the point about the well worn aspect of The Lark Ascending, but still enjoy listening to it now and then.

About a year ago (I think), I heard, on a R3 lunchtime concert, Jennifer Pike playing Lark Ascending with just piano accompaniment. I had not realised until then that RVW had originally written it in 1914 for violin and piano, with the orchestral version following in 1920. I enjoyed it and did look to see whether Jennifer had recorded that version, but sadly not (though there are CDs of her playing other composers’ works for violin and piano). I think there is a version out there by someone else, and I found a YouTube video of it by other artists.

3. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Linn Lad

Any love for Sinfonia antartica on here? It was how I first came to VW’s music when I was a lad, and a I still love it.

Mick

4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

I don't know that one- heads for RVW box set to look.

5. oceanobsession

oceanobsession pfm Member

Oboe concerto minuet and musette

symphony no3 pastoral 1 molto moderato

romanza for cello and orchestra

phil

6. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Yes very satisfying listen must dig my copy of the classic Boult recording out some time soon.

7. camverton

camverton pfm Member

The Fifth Symphony conducted by Haitink. It is a wonderful symphony but Haitink takes to another level by eschewing the pastoral element and revealing the underlying strength.

Also the second string quartet is a real favourite of mine.

8. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Has anyone mentioned Mass in G Minor? Wonderful music.

9. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

I listened to Haitink's 3rd & 4th yesterday. The 4th is the best version I've yet heard, really enjoyed it. But the 3rd was lacking interest - Hickox, Handley & Previn for me.

10. eisenach

eisenach Thüringen

Absolutely. One of the pieces that discovered RVW for me; my Dad had an excerpt on a Phase4 sampler LP.

Nic Robinson likes this.
  11. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

You really need to hear RVW conducting the 4th - brutal.

12. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Yes, RVW was not a particularly gifted conductor compared with, say Boult or Barbirolli but he got the results he wanted.