1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage Exposure amplifier alternatives

Discussion in 'audio' started by hixy, Nov 2, 2017.

1. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

So much of the 303 sound depends on the speakers. Can’t remember what they were, but it just wasn’t right. So to my eternal shame it was swapped. Funny, recently tried Tony’s 303 and a 306 against each other, the 303 was if I recall an updated one with some Dada boards in. The impedance of my little AVIs just made it sound tubby, small and compressed. The 306 sang. It has updated caps, Robert did them, so in some ways it’s probably similar to a 606 or 909, but it sounds wonderful. Yes, bloody intek!!

2. hixy

hixy pfm Member

Haha, I had an Intek to bought it because it's got to be good as its a Linn, it was lifeless and very dull.In the process of trying to get an Exposure xv.Fingers crossed.

3. Waldteufel

Waldteufel pfm Member

Don't obsess about the equipment. Just enjoy the music.

4. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

Quad 33? surely not... Awful things!!! Unless you like muddy, soft and rounded off at the frequency extremes.... I'm no fan of the 303 for the same reasons but the 33 is much worse! 306 is a good amp.

5. hixy

hixy pfm Member

I have bought an Exposure regulated xv so I am a happy boy.Thank you all for your input.

6. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Nice one, Hixy - you could do an awful lot worse. The XV's a peach. :cool:

7. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

Would that be the one wot was on ebay wot I was wotchin? ;)

8. hixy

hixy pfm Member

Haha may off been, he took a risk so did I with putting on a buy it now price.Im now hoping I can move on my 640p phono stage.If I remember rightly the phono stages are very good in old Exposure amps.

9. Cyreg

Cyreg pfm Member

I happen to have 2x 3.5m Exposure "DMF two" speakercable for sale!
    Is a good fit for Farlowe era amps ;)

10. hixy

hixy pfm Member

Pm me a price please.will 79 strand from b&q not be suitable.

11. TLS

TLS pfm Member

The Exposure XV is an amplifier I should have never replaced. Nothing is an alternative, not even a Nait2.

12. RustyB

RustyB Registered Ginga

OTOH there's a PM 645 sat where once there was a Super XX, and I certainly wouldn't swap back.

13. Cyreg

Cyreg pfm Member

See my PM for clarifying!:)

14. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

Van Damme HiFi is also a good match with old Exposure, which is what I use. Fantastic value too, best used with z-plugs IMO. The conductor spacing means low capacitance and some moderate inductance, which is what these old amps like, or they can start to ring if high capacitance cable is used.

15. hixy

hixy pfm Member

Which version would be suitable.Ive seen some Van Damme blue would that be ok.

16. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Van Damme 'Hifi' would be your best shot, similar price to Blue (for the 4mm thickness) and more suitable for your XV. I used the stuff with my Super XV where it worked a treat.

Another good one which is Exposure-friendly is Talk 3 at around £4/m.

17. hixy

hixy pfm Member

18. Cellofan

Cellofan pfm Member

@Gromit: The van Damme blue isn't the right cable for any older Exposure amp from the Farlowe era.

Because it is really important (I'm not talking about cable sound BS) which cable you use. In the manual of the IV for example specifies that you have to use the exposure speaker cable.

This is very important, because if you don't use the right cable the amp starts to swing at high loudness, I recognized that and haven't got a clue what the reason was until I tried switched from the Van Damme Blue to Exposure cable. After that everything sounded normal.

The Van Damme blue is good and works with many amps but not with older NAIM and Exposure amps.
    The Naca 4, 5 or Exposure cable is used as a parameter for the response in the working process between amp and speakers.

It must not be Naim or Exposure cable, but it is important that the conductors/cables arn't drilled and that the cable has low inductance and is more then 3.5 meters long. The Van Damme blue is drilled and hasn't got a low inductance.

19. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

I'm aware of that, hence the suggestion that Van Damme Hifi will work a lot better in Hixy's case - it's the same price as Blue anyway (just checked on Mark Grant's site) so no extra spend needed. 'Hifi' works great, and has all the electrical properties these lovely old amps require. I used it with my Super XV recently and the amp was very happy - sounded superb. The Talk 3 works great too. :)

The link Hixy's put up for the cable he's been using shows high capacitance in its tech specs, in which case it should be avoided with the XV. Someone who's more highly qualified than me in electrickeral stuff would be able to confirm I'm sure, but alarms bells did ring for me.

20. hixy

hixy pfm Member

Thank you .I will order some cable talk 3 or van Damme hifi.