1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Weird mellow version of Paranoid?

Discussion in 'music' started by JTC, Aug 11, 2003.

1. JTC

JTC Saint Alphonso!

Hi folks.

At a comedy gig we went to last night, just before the gig they were playing some sounds and what appeared to be a mellow version of "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath. This was followed by other, equally bizarre cover versions - including "Light my Fire", "Bohemian Rhapsody" (done in a kind of dub), etc.

Was this some compilation somebody had made or does anyone know if it's available to buy?

Just curious, y'ken?

jtc

2. Andrew L Weekes

Andrew L Weekes Senior Reverse Engineer

I have a cover of Paranoid but can't remember the band - will check tonight.

Not a patch on the original though ;)

I'm quite partial to this bunch though, who do stuff as varied as Nirvana to Aphex Twin, in a Jazz stylee.

The Bad Plus Live (1)

The Bad Plus Live (2)

3. Kit Taylor

Kit Taylor Well-Known Member

By mellow do you mean performed in a lounge style?

If you just mean relaxed it might have been The Cardigans, who've previously covered Black Sabbath songs in their own languid folk rock style.

4. prowla

prowla pfm Member

I saw some puppets doing Bohemian Rhapsody in Basingstoke town centre a couple of months ago.
    I also had an MP3 version of Paranoid by a nu-metal band with a female singer. Unfortunately my HD failed a while ago so I lost it...

5. Andrew L Weekes

Andrew L Weekes Senior Reverse Engineer

That's the version I've got.

It's crap!

Andy.

6. JTC

JTC Saint Alphonso!

I don't know who it was but I'm fairly sure it wasn't the Cardigans. I mean, it was too *dark* to be them. Surely not. Can't be. Must've been someone else...

jtc

7. prowla

prowla pfm Member

Sorry - I got confused.
    I was thinking of Drain STH's version of Ace Of Spades.

8. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke and so the rebuild continues..

Then of course there is always the Dickies version on milky clear vinyl (original) or Crystal clear vinyl (later re-issue). I believe the 'B' side was; You drive me ape, (you big gorilla).

Happy days...

9. joel

joel mojo working

There is a really good version Hendrix's Purple Haze on Shamisen (three-stringed Japanese lute) that I am still trying to track down. Heard it a couple of times of TV....
    Nissan have been running ads that use covers of "We will rock you", Queen's old warhorse.
    The original cover version was sung by Asian Jazz Chanteuse Keiko Lee (most famous for her amazingly pert derriere ;) ) over a soft electronica background. Surprisingly effective I ahve to admit.
    Currently there is a version of the same song sung by Macy Gray! Which is actually works less well than Keiko's version! Strange that as I have all Ms. Grey's albums and no Keiko Lee...
    There is also an old tradition in Brazilian MPB, going back to at least Sergio Mendes' "Fool on the Hill", of covering Beatles classics in a Tropicalia stylee. Somtimes it works, as on the latest Joyce album...

10. monkfish

monkfish pfm Member

Hi
    Sounds like it could be Dread Zeppelin who cover quite a lot of bands as well as Led Zep.
    Regards
    Jim