1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you listening to right now #16?

Discussion in 'music' started by AlexG, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andy m

andy m wits end liberation fly

songs of green pheasant - aerial days

pleasant shoegazey drifty gubbins, like some kind of flying saucer attack / galaxie 500 combo.

2. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Was: 45RPM
    Was: Soul Mining
    Was: Infected
    Is: Mind Bomb
    Next.... maybe Mind Bomb again, but louder.

3. Anex

Anex Señor Member

Ghost: Hypnotic Underworld.

4. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

Curses. Nurse! More wine!

Okay last for tonight before I fall over is Electric Masada -- 50th Birthday Celebration CD 4

A superb live set rocking through a load of the stuff I have not remembered and anyway it doesn't matter -- its all so reinterpreted live who gives a hoot what its called? Currently rocking thorugh ialah-abal -- a real heavy metal rendition complete with Marshall Amps on 11. Zorn is just about keeping up with Marc Ribot on that one. Starts with a 15 minute rendition of Tekufah -- so different from the original (on account of the drum solo that splatters through it seizure like... Hadasha is percussive and wacka wacka wacka and Reggae/Klez/Funk fusion With Trevor Dunn laying down the Bass beat for everyone to hang on for dear life with. Works for me. Ikue Mori adds occasional weirdness with laptop electronics and Jamie Saft on the ivories with two drummers (this time) Joey Barron and Kenny Wollenstein and Cyrano baptista doing the percussion thing makes this a very noisy and busy CD.

A rare cabal of wildness, madness and beauty in a very public space. Gotta be worth anyone's £10.

5. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Martyn Bates, Your Jeweled Footsteps. New compilation of solo and collaborative works from one half of Eyeless in Gaza. Not much on here I don't already have, but nice to have it all collected, there's some wonderful stuff on here.

-- Ian

6. Fox

Just finished today's work listening to Masada. The first evah release from Zorn and co and TBH the scope and breadth of this band wasn't apparent from these first delicate steps... Still lovely to have and to hold and to hear. Its like a jewish big band for hire but with more attitude than swing. Masada is apparently quite rare but I got it on the marketplace for £6 -- a Japanese CD. I hope its not an unlicenced copy -- if it is then its a good one.

Am now playing the The Unknown Masada. Much rockier, its actually very much like some of the LA big-band Jazz scene and 90s Jazz/Funk crossover (a la Yellowjackets or Chick Corea's 90's GRP output with Dave Weckl -- but with no piano of course)... A wide array of avant-klezmer infused jazz-funk-heavy metal-meets-improv-meets-big band orchestrations. Mental drumming - as always. Zorn's pulled back from the shrieky spitty thing he does with his reeds on these CDs -- odd not to hear.

A colleague asked me if I thought about becoming a Jewish convert (ger tzedek -- I had to look it up). I said "not yet... but I am coming out as a Klezbian."

[Blank look.]

7. concrete

concrete pfm Member

GY!BE - Lift Yer Skinny Fists Like Antannae to Heaven

8. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Cecil Taylor, Erzulie Maketh Scent. Berlin, 1988, solo, yeah baby.

-- Ian

9. Fox

Skalpel 2LP vinyl thingummy on Ninja Tune.
    Its very good.

10. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

Gilberto Gil - Quanta

mmm. Brasily.

11. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Was: Bob Dylan - Modern Times (LP - 2006). Album of the year by a fecking street!

Is: The Triffids - Calenture (LP - 1987). Despite the awful 80's drums a great record by a massively under recognised Aussie band.

Cheers

Rich

12. Fox

Dave Holland Quintet - the Razor's edge

Rhythmically challenging but easy to listen to as well IYKWIM. A really nice set of pieces. Almost 20 years old. Fresh as a daisy.

13. horace

horace pfm Member

Julian Cope - World Shut Your Mouth. Haven't listened to this for ages, but it's just as good as I remember it. Worth the price of admission for 'Elegant Chaos' alone.
    Is he a genius?
    Is he barking mad?
    Was he abducted by aliens.
    Yes, yes and probably.

Great lost album.

Martin

edit: all this, and oboes too.

14. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

My 12 year–old daughter has just taken up the oboe. (I hope that statement comes across with all the emotion I intended. Just to make sure, I repeat: My twelve year–old daughter has just taken up the oboe.)

Now playing: Neko Case - Furnace Room Lullaby

fanTASTIC.

15. dave charlton

dave charlton cubist

Herbie Hancock ~ Maiden Voyage Freddie Hubbard / George Coleman / Ron Carter / Anthony Williams

This is so strong. Stunning writing, playing and recording. My desert island No.3.

d

16. Herr Mustermann

Herr Mustermann pfm Member

Boards of Canada: Geogaddi. Their darkest album by far.

Peter

17. Fox

Dave Holland: Extensions. More of the same but better. Fab ECMage.
    PS good choice Dave! I think that'll be next. Ta!

18. RickyC6

Was: XTC - Oranges And Lemons (LP - 1989). Frustrating sort of band. One minute you think they are doing some great original stuff with pop - the next they sound incredibly twattish. Too much time in the studio basically - bit like 10cc 15 years earlier. Managed 1 side of it.

Now: The Fall -I Am Kurious, Oranj (CD - 1988). The mighty ones on very near top form. Hadn't heard this in years - great stuff. More Fall next probably.

Cheers

Rich

19. RickyC6

Buzzcocks - Live At The Roxy (CD). Excellent ramshackle performance from April 1977 and incredibly well recorded. The punkette calling for an encore with "come on you cocks!" is my new heroine.

Cheers

Rich

20. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

I love that. She's likely someone's grandmother now... wonder if she tells the grandkids?

Now listening to Prince's "Black Album". It's hilarious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.