1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you feel is the best piece of music ever written?

Discussion in 'classical' started by TheDecameron, Jun 13, 2017.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

I said it to myself about six months ago, then I said it out loud, then I went to hear it at Covent Garden this spring and I thought again to myself - this is the best music ever written.

Wagner- Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg.

2. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

I'll see your Wagner and raise you fifteen seconds of pure sublimity as Urlicht/ Primordial resolves itself from nothing.

[YOUTUBE]gy5ORMBcHnk[/YOUTUBE]

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

Ah! I see what you mean- it is an astonishing creation. It's the most spiritual piece of music I know.

4. narabdela

narabdela who?

"Im Abendrot". The last of the "Four Last Songs" by Richard Strauss.

[YOUTUBE]fxl9f83ftB0[/YOUTUBE]

5. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

Op 132.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

For me it's going to be something by either JS Bach or Miles Davis, but which I'm not quite sure, let alone which piece!

7. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Tristan and Isolde...........possibly.

8. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Impossible to choose, but if pushed Bach B minor mass - or St Matthew Passion.

9. Tantris

Tantris pfm Member

Urlicht is indeed extraordinarily beautiful. But it can only fade away, and only five years later, Mahler acknowledged that even Paradise is tainted;

Johannes das Lämmlein auslasset,
    Der Metzger Herodes d'rauf passet.
    Wir führen ein geduldig's,
    Unschuldig's, geduldig's,
    Ein liebliches Lämmlein zu Tod.
    Sankt Lucas den Ochsen tät schlachten
    Ohn' einig's Bedenken und Achten.

I think it is this realisation that underpins most of his subsequent composition, particularly the progression through the angst and despair in the fifth, sixth and seventh symphonies, and Das Lied von der Erde (Der Abschied is arguably the most spiritual piece that Mahler wrote). It would be possible to make a similar argument for Wagner or Bruckner, or other 19th century composers, as, for example, Kierkegaard’s existentialism and Darwin’s theories began to exert increasing influence and question the nature of existence and meaning.

There’s a strong case for any of Beethoven’s late string quartets to be the most spiritual works written. But I’d suggest a more humble work – the Earth and Air and Rain song cycle by Gerald Finzi, based on some of Thomas Hardy’s late poetry – for consideration. Not every song in this cycle is successful, but Waiting Both, The Phantom, The Clock of the Years, In a Churchyard, and Proud Songsters bring together poetry and music in a way I find deeply moving; in performance, it can create a sudden realisation and rapt attention from the audience. The last song addresses the same questions that Mahler was grappling with;

These are brand-new birds of twelve-months' growing,
    Which a year ago, or less than twain,
    No finches were, nor nightingales,
    Nor thrushes,
    But only particles of grain,
    And earth, and air, and rain

10. Take5

Take5 pfm Member

a lovely piece, which I didnt know. thanks for posting.

the beginning reminds me of the Gorecki 3rd symphony, 2nd movement, which I also love, and may well be my favourite piece of music. again, with an extended unresolved ache going on for seemingly ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5fg8-VWNo0

11. AllyD

AllyD ex audio room poster

Mahler for me, but I plump for Der Abschied from Das Lied Von Der Erde.

Ally

12. rough edges

rough edges pfm Member

Beethoven String Quartet Opus 131, or the Schubert String Quintet D956...

BB

13. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

The Shaggs - My Pal Foot Foot

14. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

Rites of Spring.

15. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

Has to be Albinoni for me, always feels like his heart and soul were poured into his Adagio.

[YOUTUBE]MVPYhTC4fyI[/YOUTUBE]

16. lennyw

lennyw pfm Member

Bach Matthew's Passion, obvs.

17. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

For me it's the Brandenburg concertos in an original instruments recording.

18. FrankF

FrankF pfm Member

J.S. Bach: BWV 1 -through to- BWV 1080

19. Richard C.

Richard C. pfm Member

I suppose any answer to a daft question must be similarly daft so I'll join in the jollity and support FrankF's amusing contribution (although I would dump BWV 564). However, that would be to exclude Beethoven 132 which I think better than 131, not to mention the Kreutzer. and all the string trios and quartets. It would also shut the door on Schubert's B flat piano sonata. And what about the Brahms Op25 or the Mendelssohn 6th quartets? And then there's Haydn and his Creation, not forgetting . . . . . . . :confused:

20. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Unfortunately that's not the case. It was written in the 20th century. Enjoyable none the less.