1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you feel is the best piece of music ever written?

Discussion in 'classical' started by TheDecameron, Jun 13, 2017.

1. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

The last act of Gotterdamerung for me. In fact no, start at Siegfried's Trauermusic and music gets no better than this.

2. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Except maybe the Liebestod at the end of Tristan. Too close to call for me. Wagner really excelled at endings, didn't he?

3. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

He did - but he wasn`t too shabby at beginnings either, the opening bars of Rheingold just starts you off on the 15 hour journey perfectly.

4. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

Whoosh!! ... that's gone right over my head. Taking your comment at face value, I didn't think we had a timespan?

5. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Very true. The openings of all his major operas are remarkable.

6. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Albinoni died in the 18 century. The adagio was written 200 years later by someone else...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adagio_in_G_minor

7. herb

herb music live

So that would be Bach then Tony? In my view Miles was a great band leader and let band members do their own thing, with his suggestions. How much of it was written down? Kind of Blue was greatly influenced by Bill Evans. My favourite music is mid sixties John Coltrane - I suspect little of which was written down.

When I saw ones of my favourite saxophonists, Chris Biscoe, I was astonished to see him turning pages for one of his solos!

For written music I like late Schoenberg, perhaps Moses und Aron.

8. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I played Act 1 of Die Walkure the other night in the 'new'ish listening space. Divine moment - well several moments with Talisker to help.

Wagner so good - but finding the time is the tricky bit.

9. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Yes, that`s what Saturday nights are for - pity there`s only one a week....

10. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Agree about Wagner and endings - last 10 mins of Parsifal might be on my list.

However, to select a beginning for best piece of music ever... I'd nominate the overture for The Marriage of Figaro - its only 7 minutes but there is so much in it, has so much vim and energy, and knockout tunes too.

11. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

For me, one of those. Cannot decide.

12. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

St Matthew Passion for me (preferred to the B Minor mass as it is a dramatic piece, designed for performance; it really is close to a piece of theater or an oratorio).
    Or maybe Stravinsky's Rites of Spring.
    Or Beethoven last 3 piano sonatas. Or maybe his late quartets.
    Or Bartok's violin sonata.
    Or some of Mozart's overtures (Figaro in particular).
    Or...
    Don't think there is such a thing as best.

13. Bill Colledge

Bill Colledge pfm Member

If we are taking modesty of forces/number of notes into account Satie,s Gymnopedies.

If we are not Sibelius,s Tapiola.

14. tones

tones Tones deaf

Bach's B Minor Mass - he poured into it all that he knew about choral music, pinching much of the material from his church cantatas.

15. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

For me, it's either Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier, or Chopin's Preludes.

I'd love to be able to play either half decently, but I know that's not going to happen, so i'll stick to recordings.

16. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

I'm going to go for a single song/aria that is majestic in it's simplicity and direct in its ability to communicate real gut wrenching emotion.It's Purcell's 'When I am laid to earth.'

17. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

You are all right. :)

18. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Has nobody come up yet with the Chaconne ? Life and Death in one piece of music.

[YOUTUBE]D-ajHqwEdY4[/YOUTUBE]

19. Richard C.

Richard C. pfm Member

Not specifically but this was included in post Nr. 18. Unquestionably a stupendous piece of writing of the very highest order. Baron Grumiaux was an elegant and polished performer of Bach works.

20. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member