1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What floats yer boat these days?

Discussion in 'classical' started by windhoek, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

[​IMG]

Faure's chamber music is uniformly magnificent, and the later the better. Both Cello Sonatas are late. Both are masterpieces. Both are qualitatively equal to Beethoven's best in the genre. Isserlis and Devoyon deliver world-class performances of these two works and the shorter pieces, too. The extremely brief Allegretto moderato for Two Cellos is a fleeting beauty. The concluding original Andante, Op 69, for cello and organ shows how to blend those two instruments. Superb sound. Another great disc from the unexpectedly fine box.

Amazon UK link for individual disc

2. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

Just a quick message to say thanks for posting such detailed posts of what you've been listening to of late, Todd. It just so happens most of it isn't really on my radar - I'm a veritable sloth when it comes to investigating music outwith my classical comfort zone - but I appreciate your posts nonetheless as they're well written and seem extremely well informed. Thank you.

3. rough edges

rough edges pfm Member

Spending lots of time with Rare Earth, Mozart piano sonatas (Wurtz), and Stewboss. Also the Stravinsky violin concerto and Prokofiev violin concertos are in the cdp a lot lately. Bought a shitload of Blue Note titles from Music Matters, so I've been cleaning them on the Okki Nikki and giving them a spin. Nice.

BBM

4. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Just listening to this on Spotify. It's everything you said it was, Todd, and thanks for the heads up. I love Faure's piano quartets, but didn't know about this stuff. Thanks again.

5. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

[​IMG]

Sweet Jesus! Jorge Luis Prats' so far sole Decca recital from 2011 is a knock-out. A Cuban, he was long relegated to touring Soviet bloc countries only, only reemerging into the international scene last decade, and he has made only a handful of recordings. This one of Spanish and Latin American solo piano music, taken from a single recital with no patching, is just phenomenal. I've heard a fair number of recordings of Goyescas, but none sound so spontaneous and comfortable as this. Sure, some others play with a bit more tonal nuance some of the time, and yes, Prats puts El Pelele fifth in the sequence and then plays El Amor y la muerte last, and drops Epilogo altogether, but the pianist offers his rationale, which is basically this: why do you need an epilogue when the lovers are dead? A shoot-out is in order. The disc then moves to Villa-Lobos Bachiana brasleira No 4. I've got little Villa-Lobos solo piano music in my collection, but the little I have is superb, capped by Nelson Freire's discs for Teldec and Decca, though he doesn't play this work. Prats is very close to Freire's equal. The three short works by three different Cuban composers are likewise masterful. Superb sound.

As to other recordings, there's a Rach 2 & 3 out there, a Grieg/Dohnanyi/Litolff disc, and a DVD recital, but I think I've found the disc I will to suggest to Eloquence for reissue: a late 70s DG disc of LvB (Op 101), Schumann (Toccata), and Ravel (Gaspard). Hopefully he records more for Decca.

Amazon UK link

6. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

[​IMG]

Inspired by recent listening to Pascal Devoyon and Jerzy Maksymiuk in their capacities as accompanists, I determined to find something new for my collection from both. It turns out they made a recording together, in the form of the tried and true pairing of the Schumann and Grieg Piano Concertos. As the disc is cheap, I figured one more version of each couldn't hurt. Here's a case of B-listers delivering A-list work. It's not really fair to label them B-listers, but neither artist seems to be among anyone's oft cited favorites. That's slightly more perplexing in the case of Devoyon, whose touch is nuanced, whose playing is expressive yet always eminently tasteful, whose chops are world-class. Maksymiuk offers spot-on conducting that perfectly supports the soloist. The recordings do not present the most passionate or fiery take of either work, but when considering both works together on one disc, the only one that pops into mind as being better overall, and then not by much, is the Lupu/Previn set, which also offers a different approach. And there's no lopsidedness favoring one concerto that multiple discs pairing the two works display - eg, Andsnes/Jansons, so breathtakingly great in the Grieg, so not in the Schumann.

Excellent sound, with some vocalizing from Devoyon audible here and there, most notably in the first movement cadenza in the Schumann, and some presumably from Maksymiuk in the orchestral-only sections of the finale of the Grieg.

Amazon UK link

7. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

[​IMG]

If the listener didn't know Nelson Freire was in his 70s, there would be no way to tell from the playing. His playing here nearly matches his fifty year younger self in his first solo recording in forward drive, intensity, and articulation, but goes one step further in knowing when to back off for effect, particularly in the second movement, in the Op 5 sonata. The evening before listening to this for the first time, I relistened to my personal reference from FFG, and the Frenchman takes his time in the first two movements, creating a vaster sounscape in the first movement and a more intimate one in the second, and a bit less urgency in the remaining three movements. I find FFG's coheres a bit better, but that is not to take anything away from Freire. Indeed, had FFG's set not been released last year, this new recording would and could withstand comparison to any other. This is not at all surprising, of course, since Freire is among the very greatest of all living pianists.

This new disc also contains eleven late pieces, and one Op 39 waltz. These likewise all sound splendid. A few overlap with works on Arcadi Volodos' release from earlier this year. I shan't beat around the bush: Freire, as great as he plays, does not and cannot match Volodos in the few overlapping selections, but no one else I've heard really can, either. Volodos is more ethereal and poetic, Freire more robust and pointed, though certainly not without a delicate touch when called for. If maybe one can find Freire wanting when compared to FFG and Volodos, two very different pianists executing two very different artistic visions, that is hardly criticism. It is only when comparing Freire to the best of the best, which is the minimum he deserves, that one can begin to identify where he might be able to "improve". At this level, it's always and only down to taste, and it is abundantly clear that I must have all three recordings. Toss in prior current century releases from Nicholas Angelich, Sheila Arnold, and Alessio Bax that I've only picked up in the last year or so, and it has been a Brahms boom, pianistically speaking. I could now stop listening to recordings from last century. With Rubinstein, Richter, Kempff, Lupu, Kovacevich, and St Annie in my collection, I won't, of course, but I could.

SOTA sound.

Amazon UK link

8. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

[​IMG]

An unexpected treat. I bought this because it was available for a pittance, not really expecting anything, but it turns out that Olivier Chauzu is a pianist of ideas and has some interesting things to say. He starts with a Toccata that isn't totally off-putting, which is an achievement to my ears, then moves to a DBT and Humoreske with excellent playing, nice contrast between the Florestan and Eusebius sections, and a relaxed yet flowing presentation. Both pieces work exceedingly well, but the Humoreske is something special. Chauzu has the ability to play slow and/or quiet while maintaining musical tension. Indeed, it is this playing that just may be his best. The more resonant than typically ideal sound, with hints of a metallic patina, is used to good effect, too, with Chauzu pedaling and holding some notes and chords just that smidge longer to great effect. He's got a good number of other recordings out across different labels, so I may very well have to sample some more. The only thing to quibble about is the artwork.

Amazon UK link

9. Buntobox

Buntobox Well-Known Member

You can't do better than Gilels and Jochum on DGG from 1972.