1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your most treasured record?

Discussion in 'music' started by Natara, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Following on from the what is your most valuable record thread I thought what is my most treasured record? A very hard question as I have so many but I think if pressed I would have to say my 1st press of The Who - Quadrophenia.

2. jy3

jy3 pfm Member

Alison Krauss & Union Station - Live.

3. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Good call - my Quadrophenia LP is looking a bit used now. I assume it is a first pressing, I bought it soon after it was released, had to save up for it. How do I tell?

I also have a Tomita Planets LP that I bought in a little record shop in Northampton AFTER it had been withdrawn and banned for copyright contravention - although it has been released again later.

Most treasured - for some odd reason my Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on yellow vinyl. Plays well too.

4. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

'Raw Power' by Iggy and the Stooges.

A close second would have been the Beatles' White Album, the first I bought with my own money, but actually my sister has got that; the copy here is, by a strange coincidence, Mrs H's sister's copy.

5. madmike

madmike pfm Member

My most treasured record is my copy of McDonald and Giles on pink island, plays great, sounds great...I actually have no recollection of buying it!

6. Still

Still gyldengourd

Ras Michael & The Sons Of Negus with Jazzboe Abubaka ‎– Tribute To The Emperor

This is one of my desert island discs, and was only released on vinyl in 1976 (UK and Jamaica) and 1978 (Japan).
    I have a mint copy of the later which wasn't expensive, but istm would be difficult to replace and almost certainly expensive.

7. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

I'd say Animals by Pink Floyd, one of the very first 'proper' records I bought as a young teenager from BHS of all places!

I guess the other, a few years later would be Replicas by Tubeway Army, having to cue out the door of Our Price Records to get a copy.

8. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

1st Press, translucent vinyl version of Joy Division 'Unknown Pleasures'.

Faultless quality of musical content, check
    Seminal album, check
    One of most influential bands in history, check
    1st pressing, check
    Iconic cover, check
    Highly collectible, check
    £1 in a charity shop bargain hunter's qudos, check

9. jay

jay built for speed

Probably my original release of the Foo Fighters basement jam, The Colour and the Shape. I think it's their best...

10. TCar

TCar pfm Member

A first pressing of Pharoah Sanders Karma on Impulse from 1969. This was well out of pressing went I first started looking for it in used record bins in the mid 1980s. It took me four years to find (oh the days before the internet). Followed by original presses of Thembi, Jewels of Thought, Live at the East and Black Unity :)

11. SamS

SamS pfm Member

Very difficult to choose just one.
    From a sentimental point of view probably Yes, Tales from Topographic Oceans, bought for me as a Christmas present from my older brother in the month of release when I was 14. Must give it a spin, but I fear for its condition considering it was played to death on lesser equipment, and travelled with me to University and beyond.

Followed by Strawbs, Hero and Heroine, the sound track to my first broken heart.

Otherwise a charity shop find of a mint Hendrix (girly cover) Electric Ladyland (Polydor) and 2nd hand shop Court of the Crimson King (original Pink Island) are up there.

12. madmike

madmike pfm Member

+1 for TFTO, that would be my second choice. Saw them play it live at Liverpool Empire. Always has a sentimental meaning for me. "What happened, to this song, we once knew so well....."

13. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

My set of original Sun Ra Saturns, pasted sleeves with hand colouring by members of The Arkestra.

I remember the frequent long walks in the early 80s from the centre of London all the way to 387Wandsworth Road to collect the damn things, as they used to arrive, courtesy of Chris Cutler’s efforts, directly from the band in drips and drabs. They happen to be very rare too, and I believe one of them, a Philly pressing, is the rarest of the rare.

I also remember feeling very frustrated at only being able to afford one or two at a time, when there were usually a box full. If only I’d have known.........

14. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Roy Harper - Flat Baroque and Berserk (signed copy from early 1970s)

15. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

Arvo Part's "Arbos", with a signed programme inside. £5 from Oxfam!

16. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

I have the ECM LP of this with the Hilliard Ensemble, but it cost me £20 S/H and no programme.

17. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Since I seriously downsized the vinyl, nearly all my collection I now consider a treasure, well they are to me

Bloss

18. guey

guey pfm Member

I'm going with my orange label Hunky Dory; as it was the first proper album I bought - just before I went to see him on the Station To Station tour (my 13th birthday present, and first ever gig - not a bad way to start your gig going years).

19. nuff

nuff Active Member

Here here.

20. antinchip

antinchip pfm Member

Early pressing of "In The Land of Grey and Pink" by Caravan. Unfortunately I lent it to a chum way back when so have not seen it or the chum for years and probably never will.