1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to get SACDs

Discussion in 'music' started by uncl_nigel, Oct 16, 2017.

1. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Where can you get reasonably priced SACDs?

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

eBay. Especially good for classical as so many exist. Amazon is good too. I’ve got quite a collection now!

3. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

4. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Below 20€ and I'm in France

5. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

6. Still

Still gyldengourd

7. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Mostly overpriced pop and rock as far as I have seen.

8. Still

Still gyldengourd

fwiw I got a good deal on Jeff Buckley's Grace recently.

9. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

How much did they give you for it? ;)

10. Still

Still gyldengourd

:) JB was and is a marmite musician.

11. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

I have tried with him and love some of the final album but Grace does nothing for me. Mind you I’m the only person I know who can take or leave Marmite. :)

12. Still

Still gyldengourd

How about Marmite and Peanut butter on toast?
    That usually sorts out the true grit from the rhinestones.

13. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

Nick Cave must be the same. I heard a couple of tracks off one album at a dealer and it was interesting. So I bought a 'best of' triple LP and I was ready to throw a rock at my turntable before the end of side one.....:D

14. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The classical market has been shaken up- the dinosaurs like DG, Decca and EMI have taken a hit from smaller outfits like BIS, Hyperion, Harmonia Mundi outputting a lot of stuff automatically on sacd.
    Some labels are milking the public with very high prices -for your fifth copy of Dark Side of The Moon for example. If they'd simply rereleased at cd prices they'd have shifted a lot more. Greed almost killed dsd as a medium but it's thriving in niches.

15. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

I was a bit late to the SACD party but was able to pick up a few SACD or Hybrid discs at reasonable prices. If you have the ability to play them it really is worth the effort tracking them down. The aforementioned Dark Side of the Moon was a very reasonable £7.00 when I got it and its the best version I have heard.

I do agree with the 'greed' part of it. It can't cost any more (or much more) to produce SACD's but they are usually sold as premium products and priced accordingly.

16. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

That is the best case scenario. From what I have seen there is a lot of high profit speculation involved in the secondhand SACD market especially at the pop/rock end.