1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Which CD only release would you like on vinyl.

Discussion in 'music' started by blossomchris, Oct 19, 2017.

1. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

For me it would have to be one of the Necks from a while ago.
    What about you?

Bloss

Ps. good sq taken for granted.

2. docp

docp pfm Member

Quite a few really but most are reasonably obscure. One I would definitely want is Sting - Live In Berlin.

3. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

Amplified Heart by Everything But The Girl.

4. MotelBlues

MotelBlues Member

"High" by The Blue Nile.

5. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim pfm Member

Probably none at all
    If they are on cd only, they are most likely digital recordings and the vinyl experience will have been washed out of them ..

6. garry71

garry71 Active Member

What he said^^^

7. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

You would think so but this is not necessarily the case. Music is usually mastered differently for LP and many later recordings (digital era) can have a different feel/sound/quality depending on format.

For example I am friends with a musician called Mordecai Smyth who records for the great Mega Dodo label. He bought his latest release round on three different formats at various points in its development. First was a CDr he burned at home, second a CD professionally mastered ready for release and finally a test pressing of the LP (mastered by the same person who prepared the CD). Each sounded different with, to our surprise, the LP sounding best of all and it was all digitally recorded in Mordecai's home studio.

Mordecai Smyth

8. ducatiman

ducatiman pfm Member

Gary Karr Adagio D'Albinoni

I'd love a copy
    Originally a limited run on vinyl was produced
    Now super rare on the used market

9. palasr

palasr >>>...

10. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Paddy McAloon's I Trawl the Megahertz.

11. Accuphaseman

Accuphaseman pfm Member

Sailing to Philidephia By Mark Knopfler.

All this Time Sting

12. Euan

Euan pfm Member

Alison Krauss - Lonely Runs Both Ways

13. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I'm curious about this. Does this mean you don't buy modern recordings on vinyl?

14. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

Hawkwind's Levitation was recorded on digital before compact discs were even on the market as were a good number of other albums, so you wouldn't by them because of that?

I Mother Earth... "Scenery and Fish" would be good on vinyl.

15. Natara

Natara pfm Member

David Grey - White Ladder

16. jy3

jy3 pfm Member

My copy of Acoustic Alchemy was badly warped many years ago and I've been looking since then to replace, and strangely enough I managed to find a copy on Discogs at a very reasonable price only two days ago. Still waiting on delivery.

17. Chas B

Chas B Active Member

Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Trident Tapes. Would be nice to have a vinyl release.

Regards

Chas.

18. scottyhammer

scottyhammer pfm Member

John lee hooker - chill out.

19. kendo

kendo gloominati

The Durutti Column's "Obey The Time". Promo-only LPs were made but AFAIK no general release on vinyl. This was the album that persuaded me to buy a CD player.

[​IMG]

:)

20. Chas B

Chas B Active Member

Three albums that Jeff Beck put out. Jeff, You Had It Coming and Who Else!
    Vinyl releases would be nice.

Regards

Chas.