1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

XenForo migration status and bug reports

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The site is back up in a unfunished state. As you can see there has been no attempt yet to customise the skin to make it look like pfm. This will happen in time, but I’ll only start work on that once I’m certain the functionality is fine.

Please report any bugs or oddities here. I’m expecting some teething faults with permissions etc, e.g. if you were in a particular group before, chances are you still are, but it may not quite do what we expect yet!

There will be other things too....

2. Emlin

Emlin pfm Member

Well done for getting things back online so quickly! What little I have tried is working well.

3. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

So far, so good! Seems pretty functional to me. Well done!

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

May be a little slow for a while as I’m creating the search index....

5. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

The font for page selection, when you hover the mouse over a topic, is tiny

6. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Looks and works very lovely, well done Tony.

Can't get my avatar loaded tho ;-)

7. Robert

Robert Tapehead

Funtionality looks great. I am getting some strange characters appearing though in place of punctuation, for example:

Ha! If I was a Tory I’d have spent £millions paying my mates and the end product wouldn’t work at all. To top it off one of them would then leave all the core data on a USB stick on a train so everyone’s email addresses etc are leaked. Tories and IT are always an utter disaster!

...... this only happens to your posts Tony - the others look fine. Most odd!

8. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Hi Tony,
    Thanks for all the hard work.
    Looking forward to seeing how it all develops in the future, looks good so far.
    Cheers
    John

9. left channel

left channel Well-Known Member

Looks good! No SSL yet, but I'm sure that's coming.

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Interesting. That’s a character encoding error of some kind, I suspect Mac related, and quite worrying. I’ll have to research that.

11. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 Expert in sheep worrying.

I’m lay in bed right now and feeling too knackered and arthritic to go downstairs and fire my MacBook up but I can see what happens when I post from it in the morning.

12. mjroe

mjroe pfm Member

Well done Tony,
    must be a relief just to get the basic site up an running.

I've occasionally seen encoding errors before that occur on Macs during web development, it's usually to do with the encoding of the data in the table of the database. I presume that you are using a mySQL/MariaDB database and that you created a new database & tables for the XenForo install? If so then I find that straight forward utf encoding 'UTF-8 Unicode' works best - check to see if the tables were set with a different encoding - it's usually what catches me out. If you need to quickly change database stuff that I highly recommend using Sequel Pro on the Mac - it's free and makes database admin a real breeze.

13. JohnW

JohnW Trade: Lakewest

Tony,

Well done for getting the site back up so quickly:-

1. Is there a method to directly goto the latest thread post (allowing to add a thread link to the Favourites bar)?

2. How to edit the Status picture?

3. The White background is brighter then the original forum and hard on my eyes... not sure how others find it...?

14. kendo

kendo gloominati

All well so far, not quite at the Hoffman stage yet but I'm sure you'll get there Tony.
    A bit bright as John says, so hopefully alternative appearances will become available with time.

15. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

how come only matthew has an avatar?

vuk.

16. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Looking forward to all the cat avatars...

17. misterc6

misterc6 What's he building in there?

Well done Tony, looking good so far!

I can get to my PM inbox on the top banner but can't see my sent box?

18. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Looks good so far! Very quick and responsive, works a treat on iPhone 7.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  19. igor_xxxx

igor_xxxx pfm Member

Nice... now I can enjoy pfm with my morning coffee on my iphone :)

20. fusion5

fusion5 on the dark side of hifi...

Tony,

Where did you import my Cereal guy avatar from? Steam?