1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

XenForo migration status and bug reports

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The favicon or whatever it is? Yes, I’ve yet to get to that! There is actually still tons to do, just miles of little things that need tidying up. The annoyance is the sheer amount of time I’m wasting trying to figure stuff out, e.g. I must have spent well over three hours getting nowhere with the node icons/sprites or whatever the hell they are. I’ve not found the one remaining ugly bright green bar at the bottom of the new posts display either. There is one the same in the post edit dialogue too. Why it hasn’t got a proper manual is beyond me! The annoyance is I know *exactly* what I’m trying to do, I just don’t speak XenForo’s entirely secret and undocumented language so I can’t find the bloody things.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

User profile, personal details, custom title. If you haven’t permissions let me know and I’ll edit the group.

3. wylton

wylton pfm Member

I don't know if somebody else has already asked, but the Home and Forums tabs appear to do the same thing, i.e. direct you to www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum.

4. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

either i am not seeing it, or i don;t have permissions. here is a screenshot:

http://qstatistic.com/pfm/pfmx.png

vuk.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Should now have it.

6. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

Can I have it too, please?

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I've done it by group, so all but trade should have it (I want to stick to my Trade: company name format there for clarity and openness).

Rob998 likes this.
  8. mbrian

mbrian pfm Member

I must be getting old. I find the font too small and the contrast between the font and the background needs to be increased for ease of viewing.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I don’t understand this as the font class is the same (Vernada or similar san serif), the background is the same (#f6f6f6) so it shouldn’t be any harder to read. I accept we have gained a little clutter with the side user info area, but that aside logically there should be no issue. What device are you using? Xenforo has a degree of scaling that simply wasn’t possible in vBulletin, it actually fields a different page layout to a proper PC, a tablet or a smartphone. The latter two classes are massively better IMO.

10. jamesd

jamesd pfm Member

I don’t log in for a couple of weeks and come back to xenforo! Nice upgrade. Cheers!

11. JohnW

JohnW Trade: Lakewest

To be its looks as if the font is much thinner - I find it very hard to read the forum ATM...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  12. Durmbo

Durmbo Not French

Superb work, Tony. The place looks fantastic! The familiar, freshened. Really nice. Mobile viewing is excellent. Thanks!

I'm having no problems with the font and the current skin/colour scheme is fine to me. Even in squinty comparisons I barely notice differences from the old scheme (which will surely soon be forgotten, anyway).

Try increasing the size with Ctrl++. I've increased mine to 110% for easier reading, just as at the old forum.

13. mbrian

mbrian pfm Member

Much better this morning. I can read with comfort now.

14. Fudgemaster

Fudgemaster pfm Member

Getting used to finding my way round, but I have noticed that I can use links as I could before. For some reason, for several months I've had to copy and paste links before being able to open them. Great work.

15. pinkfishmedia

pinkfishmedia Site development & testing account

I have been very very bad and I am about to receive a warning...

(pfm testing and development account, I'm trying to figure out how some of the tools work)

16. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

So - 3/4days or so in - can't fault this transition.
    • Works for me on os.x / ios/ win10 seamlessly, and reading/posting to the forum on phone is more than just fine - xenforo really wins there;
    • Zero glitches in posting/editing posts so far;
    • The posting tools all work just fine, from formatting to loading pics into posts;
    • nothing lost in speed or flexibility;
    • the changes we all are whinging-about are mostly behavioural - i.e. old dogs having to learn new tricks (say, if there was a way to disable loading avatars like there is for signatures in the default xenforo template, I'd just do that. Myself I'd turn everything but text off; others want gross dancing-sunflower gifs; chaque un á son gout)
    • And in the last day or so the 'flattening'/de-fussing of the default /temp skin is making it look like home.

Really, really - bloody well-done Tony!

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Thanks Martin, appreciated. Still a fair way to go, but I think it should be rather good in a week or two.

18. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Crumpets. I can hear crumpets.

Everything is tickety-boo except when I log in now, all of the 'speech bubbles' are grey / faded even thought there are new posts in each section.

19. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

It seems to improve each visit. Might just be eyes adjusting...

Paul

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

They are .png ‘sprites’ and both light and should exist within the same file. I just desaturated the file in OS X preview as I don’t have a decent graphics app at present, but I don’t think I broke it as the untouched unconnected file in the blue skin is all showing ‘read’ too, but I've barely logged out or slept for about four days now so that is no surprise! I tried it not logged in in Chrome and it worked there showing all dark.

PS I’ve made the logo bigger, but it might be too big now, I’m not too sure. I suspect something between is what is needed.