1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

XenForo migration status and bug reports

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Nov 8, 2017.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

you should have taken advantage of this massive celebrity advantage and staged a takeover of pfm.
    no more teal!

vuk.

2. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Spam in DIY I have used the report button, but to make sure I posted here as well.

Pete

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Got it. I’m hoping once I get to know XF better I can improve spam blocking. It is certainly picking up a lot in the new members registering which I’m deleting before they get a chance do do anything.

4. kenniGT

kenniGT pfm Member

@Tony L

Do you want to give users ability to delete and edit own old messages? It is switched on at the moment.

5. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

^^^I have deleted my own messages.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It was always on in vB. I had to have it on there as it was a global setting and traders couldn’t edit their sale lists. I’ll likely rethink it and set it to something a bit more nuanced.

7. kenniGT

kenniGT pfm Member

You should be able to set separate settings for different user accounts. It is up to you of course. This engine is probably much more adjustable than old vbull :)

8. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

So far so good Tony, well done. :)

With the new improved PFM can we have the search word length shortened? Atm anything with three letters or less isn't included in search results.... In hifi with so many products having a three digit (or number) product description it would be a godsend to allow these to be searched.

Apologies if it's already been mentioned.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m not sure what the search default is, or what if any wildcards apply, but I doubt I’ll be able to increase it as the site database has balooned in size, going to XenForo has pretty much doubled the db size! I also got bollocked for pretty much crashing the server creating the search index too, so I don’t want to do that again for a while. Not for a few days anyway ;-)

10. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

TonyL I must say I’m really liking the new platform.

11. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Blimey. It’s changed again and it reminds me of

12. mand

mand pfm Member

Is it just me or is the font smaller?
    Need my reading specs on, especially for the tiny grey font.
    Good work Tony, hope you get a good nights sleep.

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

What are you browsing on? Looks fine font size to me, that is one aspect I haven’t altered from the XenForo default. All I did was change the message content from a serif font yesterday to a sans today. That and eleven thousand colour changes.

14. mand

mand pfm Member

iPad mini.
    The tiny grey text and green text such as how long ago a post was posted and the like, quote, reply things seem smaller.
    Maybe it's a contrast thing?

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It is the default size. To my mind it is secondary info and I’d not want it any bigger as it would start to distract from the post content. Easy enough to pinch on a snall screen tablet or phone if need be. The only real difference is there is no big clunky ‘edit’ button in XF.

I’m using an iPad Air 2 and I’m not having any trouble. I’ll try with the iPhone later, but anything has to be better than vBulletin on that. I was pinching/stretching all the time previously!

16. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

Wow, we have the teal colour back; looks much more like the pfm we love, nice work Tony.

17. garyi

garyi leave blank

Any chance the pop out boxes for threads can be removed? Its most distracting, or at least make it take much longer before they pop out?

18. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Alternatively, you can just click the page number you're on

19. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Getting better. :) I'm reducing to qibbles like I'd prefer the name and time of posting to be at the top of each posting rather than the bottom. :)

20. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

This is what it looks like for me,

[​IMG]

I have a high resolution monitor, so I've shrunk it to 25%. Might need to refine that.

Anyway, acres of unused white space, irritating avatars that don't mean anything, lots of fussy lines everywhere and pale text on white. It's quite uncomfortable. In general, at the moment, it feels like a big step backward.

By contrast another place looks like,

[​IMG]

The immediate differences (to me) are that the unwanted width is placed at the sides, the avatars are conveying useful information, there aren't pointless (sic) lines everywhere. It's more comfortable to look at, easier to read in practice.

XenForo can obviously do most of that, since that is how their support forum is laid out. And I think that would be a direction to look in.

IMHO etc etc.

Paul