1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

XenForo migration status and bug reports

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’d dull the white down if I could find it in the options, but I’ve just no idea what it is called or where it is. I will find it eventually! I’m not too bothered about the width thing as no one would ever use a browser maximised on a monitor that size! The whole point of the things are to allow more windows! AA looks even worse IMHO. A blinding white strip in a sea of blinding white!

2. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Does the forum use CSS?

3. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Here the text reflows just fine when I alter the window's width. However the 'whatevers' on the left with the photos, etc, would, I think, be better as a long box across the top of each posting rather than a narrow one down the side. As they are, some text pokes over the box and they tend to put a lot of 'white space' (actually grey) after each posting's text. Having the date and time of posting at the top would, I think, be better as then you can see that before you read the content.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

That would require extensive template modifications, which I’m not prepared to do as it has a serious impact on long-term site maintenance (i.e. every time there is an upgrade or security fix I’d have to fart about with countless very complex templates). One of the reasons the previous forum was so long-term reliable is I very deliberately kept it as stock as possible.

5. antinchip

antinchip pfm Member

I don't wish to receive an e-mail alert when others post on threads I have contributed to. I have changed my alert preferences in my account settings. However I can't seem to un-subscribe from watched threads.

When I go to the "more options" button and un-check the "watch this thread" boxes there seems to be no way of saving the change. The e-mail alerts keep coming. If I go back to the thread the "watch this thread" boxes are checked again. Any thoughts please.

Cheers

Anthony

6. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

Some of the white seems to be healing itself...

I have two 3840x2160 monitors, plenty of room for windows. Anyway having web site content arrange itself down the centre of the window is common and seems to be user-friendly. The XenForo support forum does this.

Also it seems a useful use of avatars to show who is wasting their time the most in a thread, if we have to have them then that would be neat. And I quite like the way the home page is arranged in two columns, one for the forum index, the other for the latest posts. Other commentary on AA I am not making...

Paul

7. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

IMHO the grey background could do with being slightly brighter?

8. Cereal Killer

Also what does the home button do that the forum button doesn't?

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

If I had a static main-page the home button would take you there. It could also be taken to a thread containing a site overview or whatever. I may do something along those lines as I haven’t found a FAQ function yet. I need to host the FAQ and AUP somewhere, maybe the reference room. Don’t know where yet, but it is on the ‘to do’ list.

10. Cereal Killer

Maybe use the Home button to take folk to your shop?
    PFM is first and foremost about music innit ;)
    you could even write/CnP Roon esk intros for the people who like to learn about new music.

11. Cereal Killer

The top Home teal button doesn’t show in IOS but does on windows

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I don’t understand, show what? The home option on the main tab bar?

13. antinchip

antinchip pfm Member

This now seems to be resolved, thank you. Either now functional or I was doing something wrong!

Cheers

14. Cereal Killer

Yeah right under the white PFM logo

15. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

It would appear that Tony doesn't have a separate home page, so "home" is the same thing as the forum index.

On other boards there may be a news page there, or a splash screen with a mission statement. No great loss here.

16. Rallye_punk

Rallye_punk pfm Member

I am not sure if there's a thread on this yet but I thought i'd start one!

Is it bad that I almost miss the old layout already?:eek: I like the green Tony don't change it to blue! :D

17. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Have you read the three or four other threads about the new forum style?

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yay! A chance to see how the thread merge tool works...

The default skin should be green, if not you can select the green one from preferences in your user account. It is still a work in progress, but I'm slowly getting there.

PS F***ing node icons! How the hell do you change their colour!

Rallye_punk likes this.
  19. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

Not sure if this is covered by updating the skin, but when opening a new window in Chrome on Android Lollipop, the PFM icon is a generic zenforo logo ...

20. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

tony.

how do we change our "pfm member" handle or is that not possible? there is not enough width for mine to display on one line here and it is wrapping awkwardly.

vuk.