1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

XTC 'This Is Pop' Documentary (Sky Arts) - 9pm tonight.

Discussion in 'music' started by irons1965, Oct 7, 2017.

1. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

Forgot to post this earlier, a new documentary about Swindon's finest on the box tonight....An hour and a half of essential TV I think!

2. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

It's repeated at 1:50am if anyone want to "tape" it.

.sjb

3. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Damn.
    Wish I had sky. It’s not often I say that.

4. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

That was terrific, possibly one of the best music docs I've ever seen - Just reinforces my own view that XTC are one of the greatest bands ever.

I noticed that there was a petition to get the BBC to air it, I can't understand why they didn't??

Fingers crossed for a Blu-ray release soon...

5. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

Oh. Would have loved to be able to watch this! I know next to nothing about them, apart from the fact that one band member's stage fright kept them from appearing on stage - except on a precious few occasions.

I used to spin their vinyl all the time. Haven't been doing it lately. I have a round cover lp of "The Big Express" (+ the regular square cover version) and a promo 45 for "Drums and Wires". I also have a big mp3-library of a lot of the stuff their members did on the side. So I guess I am a fan.

6. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

One of the great British bands of all time.
    Songwriting & the interplay between the musicians puts them head & shoulders above most other pop outfits. Sheer class.

7. jamie123

jamie123 pfm Member

i wonder what poor old nigel is doing since british steel went tits up!

8. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

if you do have Sky Arts it is available on demand and is repeated again on 10th Oct at 2230

9. alan967tiger

alan967tiger pfm Member

I recorded this and I'm looking forward to watching it. I only know a couple of the hits, and intend to buy their back catalogue:)

10. Premmyboy

Premmyboy Member

Just watched it. Fantastic highly recommended.

11. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Life's not so bad, thanks. At least my schoolmates aren't tormenting me with that stupid bloody song! :mad:

12. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

That's not quite right. They toured extensively in their early days - Partridge had a breakdown in 1982 and they never played live after that. I really hope this documentary gets either a DVD release or an airing on terrestrial tv.

13. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that they toured at all.

14. duncan

duncan ...

I saw them on the Drums and Wires tour c.1979. Flippin’ brilliant live act, tight as a drum. Red ‘n’ green light show to match the LP sleeve, which was rather groovy. I was working for British Steel at the time (Templeborough, Rotherham) but not called Nigel.

I’d love to see this doc.

15. Thanks for the heads up, I've put it on the planner, as well as a Doors documentry I also noticed.

Cheers BB

16. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

Saw XTC a number of times from small gigs at the 100 Club and LSE to the New Theatre in Oxford. They were a great live act.

I'd like to see the doc, but refuse to sign up to Murdoch's world.

Jack

17. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Crumpets. I can hear crumpets.

I enjoyed it.

I need to complete my XTC collection.

18. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Nice to see "that lugubrious prog keyboard player" got thanked in the credits...

19. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Such an underated band. Skylarking was fantastic despite the problems. Thouroughly enjoyed the documentary.

20. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

Well, [thread=201256]in this thread[/thread] the massed brains of pfm proved beyond any doubt what ‘Making Plans For Nigel’ was really about, so it’s probably best not to ask.