1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

ZZ Top

Discussion in 'music' started by muzzer, Mar 29, 2012.

1. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

Just watching them on Sky Arts live from Texas, what a great guitarist Billy Gibbons is!

2. v8esp

v8esp pfm Member

yeah, I love that unique ZZ guitar sound

3. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

Great band, much prefer the earlier stuff.

4. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Yes the early albums for me too, great stuff.

5. demotivated

demotivated pfm Member

'Antenna' is the mutts nuts, 'Fandango' is worth hearing. But a lot of hype with some talent live.

6. minimido

minimido pfm Member

Don't forget 'Tres Hombres', fantastic album. 'Rio Grande Mud' is a personal favourite too.

7. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

Agreed I prefer the early stuff, it got a bit cheesy when they did the furry guitars but when they do the Tres Hombres stuff Billys' playing is superb, not bad for an old timer.

8. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

The Rev Willy G is The Man. Obviously they decided in the 80s that show biz was where it was at, but for all that they at least don't take themselves too seriously.
    I guess they saw the money and decided to take it. Can't criticise them for that, if that's what they wanted.

Billy Gibbons is so thin that if he didn't have a beard, when he turned sideways you wouldn't see him.

9. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

Check out their progenitor band, The Moving Sidewalks. Finest kind of texas psych!

Chris

10. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

The studio side of my first UK pressing of Fandango is probably the best sounding rock record I own. And Blue Jean Blues and Jesus Just left Chicago have 2 of the best guitar solos ever.

Apart from the rather excellent 'Deguello', I'm not that keen on the stuff from Tejas on, though.

11. David F

David F pfm Member

I have fond memeories of elimator on vinyl.

Forr some reason I haven't bothered with it cd.

(when I was 20, jesus just left chicago +Thorens TD 160 super +boots home brew = :cool:)

12. Tomscrut

Tomscrut pfm Member

I agree!

13. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

One day they'll do another roots album minus the gimmicks and hooks.
    And that, boys and girls, will be something to behold, because when The Rev Willy G wants to play that stuff, there is likely no-one on this planet to touch him.

14. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

Amen to that brother:D

15. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

The BluRay of the Texas concert's well worth having - superb sound and picture quality plus as an "Extra" the Top do a stonkingly good version of Hendrix's Foxy Lady.

16. Engels

Engels pfm Member

Supposedly Hendrix himself taught BG to play Foxy Lady when the Moving Sidewalks were a support act for the Experience in the USA

See also <http://www.paulgabriel.net/id25.html>

17. callahan

callahan pfm Member

His guitar playing is legendary, but I love it when he first opens his mouth to sing and that voice comes out of his skinny frame - he makes Mark Lanegan sound a bit effete.

Love the early stuff in the main (La Grange is one of the best blues rock songs evah!), but still enjoy a bit of the cheesy stuff too - Gimme All Your Lovin', Sharp Dressed Man etc have their place.

18. 2 many boxes

2 many boxes pfm Member

'Thug' is the best track off Eliminator. Proves that Dusty Hill's not too bad a bassist either :)

19. mmaatt

mmaatt pfm Member

It was nice to get the 2008 Live From Texas on vinyl after so many years in the CD wilderness! The guitar sound is amazing.

mat

20. paultje

paultje pfm Member

Amazing to think that they are the only 'top group' to have remained unchanged, including management, for 40+ years. Great concert....shame about the echoey sound.