1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

ZZ Top

Discussion in 'music' started by muzzer, Mar 29, 2012.

1. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

BTW, sure I've asked this before, but anyone here have an opinion on early ZZ Top on CD? I bought Rio Grande Mud, but it sounds almost re-recorded to my ears with modern drum and guitar sounds.

2. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

Mine sounds ok.

3. callahan

callahan pfm Member

Early stuff is all on vinyl for me. In fact I think I'll put La Grange on now :)

4. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

I have ordered Live in Germany 1980 on CD, any idea if it will be released on vinyl?

5. foxwelljsly

Had a few of their tracks on the Texas Flashbacks compilations and thought they were great, a quick google has established that Arkama have re-released their sole album, 'Flash', and I have now ordered it off E-Bay. Cheers.

6. dbz

dbz pfm Member

You might not know this, but most of the original vinyl mixes of ZZ Tops albums are not available on CD. When the albums were being prepared for CD release, someone decided (with the band's consent and involvement) to "update" their sound with drum machines, modern production, extra guitars etc, following Eliminator's success in the mid 80's.

I suspect that's what you are hearing. Vinyl is the only way to hear the original mixes.

7. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

There is an unfutzed with 'Best Of' that is worth seeking out second hand. I have the original ZZ Top on WB and that is superb.

ZZ Top on CD is a bit of a lottery.

The original WB CD of "Degüello" is quite good and has the original mix, but I have heard the vinyl which is better.

The original CD of "El Loco" also has the original mix and sounds good.

For "Tres Hombres" and "Fandango!", there are remasters out there with the original mix, but they are a little bit loud (Bob Ludwig IIRC). The 4-CD box set and the "Rancho Texicano" comp using the same mastering is available. The up side is that they are the original mixes and the sound is not bad. Might be worth trying RT as a good sample and can be cheap.

Decent vinyl is better than the available CD versions.

8. foxwelljsly

Exactly what I though. Off to the E Bay vinyl section to plug the gaps in my collection.

9. minimido

minimido pfm Member

Similar experiences here, the earlier non-remastered versions of the cd's tend to be closer to the sound of the original vinyl. The re-mastered ones are definitely a bit of a lottery, a couple good, but most awful.

10. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

Eliminator vinyl is not exactly a well balanced production - I like 'She got me under pressure' for the guitar solos in the second half - but apart from a bit of the drum kit one channel has zip happenning on it until some reverb from the guitar and the drumming is phased from one side to t'other

On cheaper kit the mix sounds OK - on the whole its not an interesting mix but the rock and roll is good enough to sustain interest in spite of. So Im not surprised to hear they futzed it up on cd. Same thing with Ijahman cd's

? my esl's may need a service ?

11. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

Yeah, but ZZ Top in that era was about MTV and fun. Album production was incidental then, and I think the world thought MTV was the future format of music. It was probably mixed for stereo TVs and large TV screens in Burger King seating areas.

12. foxwelljsly

That's exactly what I'm hearing. Back to vinyl for these.

13. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

I have heard of mtv and may have seen it once in jeans shop