1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

£2.2m UK rendition payout.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I suspect a state wouldn't pay out 2.2 million of it's finest quids in a settlement if it had a case that would stand up in a court (BBC link). Will be interesting to see if any shit finds itself deflected from the fan onto Jack Straw or St Tony Blair.

PS I've not read up on this story much at all, though I get the impression from half listening to C4 News tonight that some of this might be down to the fine folk of Human Rights Watch getting the core facts of the matter out in the form of leaked documents. Good on 'em.

2. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

The BBC News 24 coverage of this paints a pretty sh*tty picture. Handing over anyone to Gaddafi's regime seems hypocritical to the N'th degree.

3. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Apparently the excuse for coughing up with no admission of liability was that the security services would not testify or give evidence in open court.

4. hughjampton

hughjampton pfm Member

Unlike the other rendition cases which the government settled because they said they didn't want to allow evidence from the Security Service to emerge in court this one was cast iron nailed on.

All the documents, including friendly notes from the head of SIS to the head of the Libyan intelligence service about the delivery of this family to the Libyans, were found in the intelligence services headquarters after the fall of the regime. The government could only lose so had to settle to avoid the evidence coming to court.

There is another case coming up in the new year which the complainant will not settle out of court, and where the conspiracy by the CIA, SIS and the Libyans to capture opponents of the regime under the cover of the 'war on terror' and render them to Libya for torture will be shown to a court. All part of the rapprochement between the US, UK, and Gaddafi around the desert deal. Again all the evidence was found in the offices of Libyan intelligence and is undeniable. Unlike shared intelligence from the Americans this can't be withheld because it's already in the public domain.

5. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

It will be held 'in camera' the good old US of A will insist or chuck their toys out of the pram.

6. Martin D

Martin D Libertarian Division

Straw must be crapping himself tonight, i think he's in for the high jump

7. pure sound

pure sound Trade: manufacturer/distributor

What with this today & the news of state sponsored executions in NI yesterday, we're looking good aren't we?

8. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

It won't be heard before the law changes to allow courts to be held in camera.