1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

£2 per washer

Discussion in 'off topic' started by cooky1257, May 24, 2013.

1. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Popped into my local Halfords last night to get some penny washers.
    £5.99 for 3!!
    On questioning the price with the assistant he informed me they were rust proof so I informed him I'd rather drill holes through £2 coins than be robbed by Halfords..

2. ClaraBannister

ClaraBannister pfm Member

Same with bike oil. Package it small and flog it dear.

3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Halfords have reasonably enough worked out that it costs as much to sell a pack of washers as it does a £100 stereo. As a result you won't find much in the shop that costs under £2. As Clara says, bike oil, puncture kits, packs of nuts and bolts, all that, fit the description.

I keep stocks of N,B&W that I buy periodically from motor factors or when one of the supermarkets has a DIY special, but I am a bit of a DIYer. If I'm stuck then I ask nicely at the local garage, they will let me walk away with a handful of fasteners in exchange for a pocketful of coppers in the charity box.

4. Briain

Briain pfm Member

Ah, that explains why some plumbers are so b****y expensive! :D :D

5. auric

auric pfm Member

Same with snake oil. Package it small and flog it dear.

6. ClaraBannister

Some bike oil, especially in the US, is snake oil. People on forums (fora) get very irate if you suggest that they'd be better off buying a gallon can of bevel gear oil, which is probably what the expensive stuff is anyway.

7. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

little black rubber pips that fit on my cooker top pan plates to stop them marking the stainless steel.

£4 each plus £4 p&p!

8. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

PFM members are hifi enthusiasts....yet there are expressions of surprise at gouging for oil and washers!

My Golf tdi is low on oil- I'm going to top it up with Linn bearing oil. I only use the 'best'...

9. ClaraBannister

Probably make the leading edge of your bonnet sharper. Still, you can enjoy the inky black silence when cruising on the motorway.

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Linn bearing oil is probably cheaper than oil to meet spec VW 501-1! If you don't meet VW oil specifications, prepare for a bill to replace cam followers or similar. As good as the 1.9 TDi engine is, that part of its design is not its finest hour. Once they get a bit older and start burning a bit of oil, it makes them rather expensive to run at £5-odd a litre.

11. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Drill holes on 2ps.

Shouldn't they be called 2p washers as they are nearly the size of old 1ds

Pete

12. ClaraBannister

I suspect that drilling holes through Her Majesty's phiz may, upon indictment, incur some monstrously Draconian and archaic penalty. Probably transportation. Still, Australia has improved a lot.

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Latest news from Australia is that crimes of burglary, car theft and violence are to be punished by transportation to Middlesboro, Barnsley and Oldham. The poor bastards.

14. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

The margins these people work with are quite astonishing. I've held a Maccess account for around 25 years and the biggest savings I made were on consumables, tools and lubricants.

5 litres of budget engine oil used to cost me £0.80 to £1.25 (plus vat) and would retail for around £5 - £7.
    Performance oils (VW diesel etc) attract an even larger margin, Halfords' latest web price £17.00 per litre, £46.00 for 4 litres, ouch!!!

Screen wash had similar margins when bought per gallon or 5 gallons, likewise Haynes manuals which weren't subject to vat were around £5.00, Halfords' price £20.

I'm sure your local Hifi dealer would love margins like that!

Also bear in mind the wholesaler was also making a profit on those rates and Halfords are likely to buy direct.

Things have moved on and your local supermarket can be the cheapest place to buy your lubricants ( ow matron!)

15. paul auster

paul auster Banned

Surely you meant Leeds .

16. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

How dare you. It's a spiffy mk7 1.6, though I had a 1.9 five years ago and it had all the refinement and pleasure of a tractor from a North Korean pig farm.

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Wow, those prices are staggering! I use Partco a lot for spares and I do OK but nothing like that. Then again I'm just standard "Trade Cash Sales" so no dazzling discounts. I've noticed that over the last few years the cheapo oils that used to come in under £5 a gallon have gone, I now pay £12-15 for 5L of decent quality multigrade. Supermarkets are OK but that's all, no dazzling bargains. I'll have to check out a trade account, now I have my own business. A bit of headed paper should seal the deal.

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Having worked in both places and lived in Leeds for a number of years, I can confirm that while Leeds has areas that are spectacular shitholes (Beeston, Gipton, Harehills, take a bow), Oldham is, in general, considerably nastier. It's the only place in the UK where I've ever worked and when, upon being asked to make a home visit to Glodwick, I replied "OK, but I'm not going there after dark, or at any time in my own car" nobody felt that this was unreasonable.

19. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

I the 80's the account process was pretty strict. I had to provide my vat registration number, two references from bonafide motor traders and business bank details and even then it was a cash and carry only transaction.
    If you're trading as Fido dog grooming don't expect to get in the door!

There was also a minimum £100 +vat spend per visit in those days but that is pretty relaxed now.

I think Partco will open a "trade" account for you providing you're doing enough business, but don't expect the discounts to be huge.

20. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

Don't knock DPRK technology. Their pig farmers train on simulators now.

[​IMG]