1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

£300M of Cocaine grabbed by customs

Discussion in 'off topic' started by TheDecameron, Aug 3, 2011.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

2. deanf

deanf pfm Member

True - and an even bigger one if he taxed the rest that didn't get caught.

3. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

4. Mick P

Mick P Retired and content

Chaps

I know nothing about this topic because I haven't even seen a drug let alone taken one and despite being in the Buying fraternity for nearly all of my life, I would not have a clue how to buy a drug of any description.

I have a question ... most people here seem to think that drugs should be legalised. I suspect that if this is a common held view, then the population at large hold a similar view. Therefore why bother to seize drugs.

People are going to use the stuff because there is apparently loads already floating around, so why bother trying to intercept it or have I got the complete wrong end of the stick.

I admit I know nothing on this subject, so please don't tell me I am a lying useless idiot etc. I would however be willing to learn.

I just cannot see why HM Customers are intercepting it when there is shiploads of it already around and most people are cool with it being available.

Regards

Mick

5. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Have you seen what it does to people?

6. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Why sell yourself short?
    You regularly demonstrate you know nothing about lots of subjects.:D:D

7. Mick P

Mick P Retired and content

Chaps

It's another stupid attempt to start yet another argument, Please don't bother to answer as I will pull out of this one.

Pity really.

Many thanks

Mick

8. dss

dss Musical Bons

Go to be the quickest flounce off ever, in 7 posts is it.

Is this a record?

DS

9. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

You didn't believe that 'I don't no nothing about no drugs' flannel did you, DS?
    Imo Mick is performing a blatant OTT protest of innocence.
    Given short fuse + general grumpiness, possibly on a major come down?

On a brighter note, this years' HMRC Christmas party is going to be massive.

10. dss

dss Musical Bons

It would however be an interesting speculation as to what a totally unrestricted drug supply free market would do to the population? Would everyone loll around glassy eyed smiling sweetly before thier next fix from the vending machine is it.

Who would milk the cows and dig up the potatoes then?

DS

11. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

90% pure as well. Tasty

12. afewbeers

afewbeers more sense than money

Like who cares, dude....

13. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

14. Mastergunnar

Mastergunnar pfm Member

I hope some of it ends up at the House of Commons, perhaps then they might all start to think with a clear head. An 'out of my head' at question time might be interesting,lol.

15. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

Mick,

If you have ever taken alcohol you have used a recreational drug, if you still use alcohol you are a recreational drug user, same applies to nicotine.

There are a lot of reasons why the law is not changed, not least various UN treaties which we have signed up to. Also consider that legal recreational drugs such as alcohol and nicotine would have competition threatening their market share. The media tend to be against it as they gain advertising revenue from legal drugs and Politicians fear the wrath of an uneducated and fearful public if they do not toe the line.

All in all there is an awful lot of inertia before we can have anything approaching a rational debate about the subject. However since the current status quo is leading Mexico to becoming a failed state, this may change.

We cannot even get past the stage where any one advocating the legalisation of drugs is accused of promoting that its a good idea to take them, it does not.

16. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Hi Mick,

If you know nothing about drugs watch this famous film. It made stars out of a number of the cast.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117951/

I would suggest you watch on your own, as there are some naughty words spoken!

Cheers

John

17. dss

dss Musical Bons

It appears his supplier has gone under is it:

From the Swindon Advertiser last week:

"MORE than 100 police officers swooped on violent heroin dealers across the town in the single biggest operation of its kind in a decade.

A total of 14 people, who had been under surveillance by Swindon police’s Divisional Intelligence Unit (DIU) and the Drug Enforcement Team (DET) since February this year, were arrested during a town-wide sweep.

Codenamed Operation Diffuse, around 120 officers were drafted in from Wiltshire Police – with some being pulled in off lieu days, including armed units and drugs dogs, raided a total of 10 houses at dawn yesterday in areas such as Moredon, Park North and the Railway Village"

DS

18. deanf

deanf pfm Member

(Mick, et al)

Personally I don't have an issue with people using drugs, providing it stays just that - personal - in fact throughout time it's quite natural.

The problem I have is the journey from let's say the Amazon basin to the nostril. It causes displacement, warfare, poverty, and takes a huge number of victims.

I think there are many reasons why governments won't legalise - apart from the fact the economy is dependant on the illegality of drugs (police, customs, etc) - it would result in a huge shift in the balance of powers.

Third world countries would become first world overnight. Legal global drug companies (alcohol, medial, etc) would take a massive hit. And potentially it would be more difficult to control the masses. Then I suppose there's the morality of it all.

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

If drugs were being reclassified from scratch there is no doubt that alcohol would be a class A - it is one of the nastiest, most addictive and most dangerous of them all, in fact I'm hard pushed to think of another drug that makes the user quite so obnoxious and violent. Maybe crack cocaine?

I've argued for decades that as drug use is rife it is utterly pointless to keep it illegal. All the current illegality achieves is to place the means of production and distribution into the hands of organised crime. That's it - it places a multi-£bn industry in the hands of violent thugs. These thugs care not about quality, and IIRC the vast majority of drug-related illness / injury is down to the crap these criminals cut the stuff with, it is this that gives people liver / kidney failure and places them in NHS care for life.

I can not think of a single reason for the ridiculous prohibition situation we have at the moment. Were we to look at things with a clear head it is obvious considerable tax revenue could be generated from the lighter drugs, e.g. cannabis, MDMA, amphetamines etc, none of which are as dangerous or mind altering as alcohol IMO. This could finance care for those addicted to more serious drugs, the care of which would be far cheaper anyway with the supply of clean drugs of known dosage. It would also wipe the vast majority of organised crime out overnight. The simple fact is that humans take drugs, denial, as is the current state stance, is utterly absurd.

20. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

Bummer.... Bet theres a fair few cops who'll be having good nights out.