1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

£40,000 income limit for council houses

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ian r, Oct 11, 2012.

1. KC Cantiaci

KC Cantiaci pfm Member

Darryl - there's nothing there that I don't understand already. What you fail to grasp is that we are living in difficult times so with belts being tightened across the country, people/companies/govt departments and the like are having to make the best use of the resources they have. Having people like £145k earning Bob Crow in a council house paying a low rent when there are waiting lists for people that are genuinely in need of help is plain crazy and something needs to change.

The money saved by realigning who gets to live in social housing could help fund the increase of council house stocks that is needed for the future. I stand by the fact that there are people in state supplied housing paying a low rent that can afford to pay market rents which would free up much needed resources. Times have changed and we have to adapt.

2. KC Cantiaci

KC Cantiaci pfm Member

3. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

ok we are now on page 26 and you have not addressed any of my points and you fall back onto 3 points one is the bob crow scenario - your obsession on this one person does not make a case for your views on the matter.

secondly you again haven't answered my points on how to get the housing situation moving and your argument capitulates on dealing with a small guessimated section of people possibly subletting and even if it was dealt with it would free up zero places....it's virtually an irrelevance in the scale of the problem....

thirdly you keep referring to government proposals reported in papers with very disputable figures....if you throw low earners out of council housers you make them worse off which also does nothing except make more demand for rents that will likely increase locally as demand exceeds supply already....again you are not addressing the problem....

please you asked for my points of view - i gave them yet you fail to respond to them and just rant like a daily mail moaner who as ususal doesn't address the problem.....

i'm not particularly bothered by one bob crowe but i am bothered by the billions not collected in tax due to rich dodgers and avoiders.....

4. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Thanks for the reply but I may not have articulated my question very well. I know about how to get into a council house (Mrs Seeker had one in her previous life) but what I was trying to get at was, if you're out of work, can you get financial assistance for council house rent (even if it's not called Housing Benefit) or, when you apply, does having the means to pay council rent unaided one creterion to qualify?

5. KC Cantiaci

KC Cantiaci pfm Member

Darryl - you are impossible. Your questions have been answered time and time again and yet we go round in circles. It doesn't matter cos we aren't going to change things anyway so let's leave it at that eh?

6. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

excuse me? you asked for my views and solutions and avoided replying to them choosing to make the same 3 discredited points you have made all the time....that's your problem not mine.

7. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

hi seeker,

this link explains the current policies....they do change occasionally.

https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit

as i said to some other people here....yes we have got a welfare bill getting bigger but the best solutions would be more people working and more houses being built, by getting taxes properly and fairly collected. then we could start tidying up loopholes and loose ends in welfare frauds etc....welfare fraud is dwarfed by just one or two large tax avoiders money.

fixating on bob crowe doesn't address or sort out the problem....

8. dk2

dk2 pfm Member

There is just one thing that I think should be addressed and that is council houses in the most desirable parts of London (there are some in and close to Covent Garden for example).

I firmly believe in the principle of assisted housing and don't think that Thatcher & co should have sold most of the council houses off, but I think that having council houses in areas which most people in their own homes could not afford doesn't make sense. Sell them and build twice as many council houses in slightly less affluent areas.