1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

£5000 Speaker Recommendations

Discussion in 'audio' started by PhilDick, Jan 23, 2015.

1. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

Yes, he feeds it digitally over Denon Link. Also has the front speakers (the Secondas) bi-amped.

2. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Interesting.

3. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

Yeah its a 7.1 amp. He has a 5.1 setup, the two spare channels are switchable for bi-amping. Makes it something like 280w per channel!

4. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

I have heard my monitor Audio PL300s driven by a Denon Av amp, I have no idea which model, but they worked in a 5.1 set up.

5. pgarrish

pgarrish New Member

The bigger Shahinians need very meaty amps - very low impedance. Definitely try before you buy even with 280Wpc (I tried a pair of obelisk on my 180wpc HH amp and it was as flat as a pancake). That said, they can sound amazing when properly driven.

6. Disbeliever

Disbeliever pfm Member

Phantom Source Floorstanders review in next Hi-Fi Choice only £3.6K

7. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

Indeedy so and they hang around 2 Ohms in the important treble region and thats where the ear is so sensitive and any amp stress will be heard.

My amps in case you missed it can deliver 1600wpc into 4 Ohms.........

I did try my Obs with a NAP250 and a pair of NAP135s and even had the latter go through the Avondale upgrade to stage 3. As you say they didn't come alive until those beefy amps I now have even at low volume.

Cheers,

DV

8. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

focal 1028be are around 5k new and well worth a listen

a martin logan ethos possibly might come around that and well worth a listen or an electromotion

9. JB76

JB76 pfm Member

It's not just wpc you want proper current delivery and massive transformers. The end result is worth it though.

10. Is the amp used for AV duties ?
    Does he have other speakers in the mix that will still be used?

11. matthias

matthias pfm Member

Zu Audio Druid V

12. robob3

robob3 pfm Member

Which Denon av amp is he using? Sorry if that's been nswered before but the thread caught my eye and i haven't read it all.

13. tommyt

tommyt pfm Member

+1 to the spendor d7. I have them and think they are great.

14. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

Yes it was mentioned earlier:

15. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

It's used for AV, 2 channel (CD) and surround (SACD) music. He has some Castles (not sure which model) for the rears, a B&W centre and a Rel sub.

16. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

He as bought some PMC 20 24s. Purely off the dealers recommendation. Let's hope they are good.

17. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

Thats dads for you, they ask for advice and then do their own thing.

18. cliffpatte

cliffpatte Speed camera anarchist

Martin Colloms likes them

over £3K for two way speakers sounds a little excessive though

19. mg_sounds

mg_sounds pfm Member

How do the PMC sound now they are at home. Any good.. ? Or should you have tested a few first before you paid?

20. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

They are getting delivered tomorrow (Sat). I wanted him to try a few at home first but hey, what do I know. The dealer says they will change them if he's not happy.