1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

£50bn question: do we want faster trains or limitless clean energy?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by auric, Jul 2, 2013.

1. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

If you're going to try and blame someone at least get it right.

HS2 was instigated by Labour shortly before the 2010 GE but it did have tory support.

2. tomh

tomh Switching over to AM

Is the Q=10 prototype you are referring to ITER? As there is a big difference between planning/building it and actually delivering Q=10

Can you send a link for the 300 second runtime, not doubting, genuinely interested and couldn't find anything on google.

Cheers

3. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

100 not 300

4. tomh

tomh Switching over to AM

5. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

I can see helium for the magnets being the key shortage for fusion and we are still wasting the little we have on kids balloons.

6. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Kill all leave supporters

Long term there must be some way to mine helium from gas giants, drop it back down the solar system to earth orbit and either drop it into the oceans in a container made from something else we need that can be mined in the asteroid belt (with an ablative coating for the atmosphere), or have the fusion plant in earth orbit and beam the energy directly to ground stations.

7. Cav

Cav pfm Member

We have a huge source of fusion power already which is not being expolited to anything like its potential.

darrenyeats likes this.