1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

‘Contempt of Parliament’

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Yes, I agreed with that point upthread. Any outcome I can imagine will be worse than remain. (And the tests might still be used to get us to a position where that becomes an option, although I don't see how they have any real force any more.) Or rather, worse than being in the EU before this whole thing happened. I can imagine scenarios now where remain would be quite a bit worse than anything I've lived through so far.

2. wacko

wacko pfm Member

And to top it all the sovrinty of Parliament is stopping him getting his sovrinty back o_O

Mullardman likes this.
  3. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

4. Nero

Nero BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK

This thread is in danger of conflating with the Brexit one, so I have just one question. I thought the vote of contempt would result in the suspension of someone, e.g. Lidington or Cox.

I haven't been keeping up, but did that actually happen?

5. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

No, because AIUI the Labour motion made it clear that the contempt was 'inadvertent' and not the fault of any one person.

6. Nero

Nero BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK

That's a shame. Thanks.

7. CHE

CHE pfm Member

Well on that basis we should have a 'referendum' for every GE result in the last few decades. After all the manifestos are never kept to so in essence it's just as 'fraudulent'. Anyone up for that ?

CHE

8. Dave***t

Dave***t Revolutionary relativist

Ridiculous. Give us the chance to try being out of the EU for 4-5 years and then the option of changing our minds, and a lot of this shouting could stop.

9. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Yes

10. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

Like the Qatar and Russian World cup bids?

jtrade likes this.
  11. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Trouble is, once we are out, we will get so dominated by US and other non- EU interests that a return will become impossible.

12. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

If this wasn’t ‘wilful’ contempt, why would the government go to such lengths to withhold the information? If I accidentally failed to include data in a report or presentation that had a significant bearing on my argument, I’d produce it immediately or commit to showing it as soon as I could. May seems to have had a little Trump rubbed off on her.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  13. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

14. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Apart from loss of face - and, in this instance, being forced to publish the legal advice in question - what are the practical and legal consequences for a Government being found in contempt of Parliament?

15. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Apparently absolutely nothing.

16. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Apparently nothing, nothing apparently.

17. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

^ It certainly looks that way.

18. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

Why do you think this , Sean : I think the EU will bend over backwards (well, maybe not quite that far) to restore the UK as an ongoing member ?

19. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

It's the domestic situation I'm thinking of: there are consequences to whipping away a referendum result from under people, especially when it was an anti-establishment (and nihilistic) result to begin with. Increasingly though I just think ____ it: around half the people who'll care are just total b______s and will be dead soon anyway. The risk of a right wing upsurge will be if both parties implode but I actually think it will only be the Tories. Probably the only reason a reverse ferret hasn't already happened.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr, ff1d1l and jtrade like this.
  20. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Tony L said:
    FWIW I’d like to see a party with the spine to call the referendum fraudulent, which it very clearly was, and just to render it null and void. That alone is basis for a future referendum, but no great rush, any time in the next century would be fine! I really don’t see why we should flush our future economy, prosperity and rights down the shitter based on a series of lies, criminality and political incompetence. If this had been any sporting event the results would have been overturned by now. If it had a been a business contract it would have been ruled fraudulent/void and the company would be sued for mis-selling.

If this were the case would some not have looked into this & why has not one single person or persons opened a case against the leave campaign (in regard to ending Brexit based on the points you have made), the absence of any such case being brought forward, especially after 2 & a half years of remain banging on about this, surely speaks volumes.