1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

‘Contempt of Parliament’

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There are a couple of court cases going through at present, here’s one Guardian. Sadly our politicians are too lazy, corrupt, or self-interested to do anything themselves, so it is down to a few courageous individuals to try and do the right thing.

PS There is infinitely more evidence of corruption now, hence the delay in this stuff going through. It is only recently we have heard about the fraudulent behaviour of Cambridge Analytica, Leave.eu etc etc, and a lot is still working its way through the court. Sadly the legal system moves rather slowly. I am in zero doubt that Brexit was fraudulent and it will unquestionably be proven as such, the annoying thing is this will likely happen after an idiotic and destructive form (all are) has been implemented.

2. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

Because the referendum was only advisory so there was no legal obligation to observe its result. It was basically an opinion poll. The HoC chose freely to implement the outcome despite what was known at the time about dubious campaign tactics. It could choose freely to cancel it even now, taking into account what has emerged subsequently about electoral law violations. Legal action is unnecessary to achieve this.

3. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I also missed when they said they would release the full legal advice, I take it they haven't done that yet, or that there was nothing in it newsworthy hence me not seeing it anywhere?

4. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

The why not?

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The government finally released the advice on Wed afternoon just before, but too late to be studied for PMQs. It is dynamite, it is the reason May is now on the ropes and stands no chance of getting her deal through. The ‘backstop’ turns out to be permanent, it would separate NI from the UK, and as such hell will freeze over before the orange shower who hold the keys to this government would vote for it. The government hasn’t collapsed yet, but the legal document is likely close to the final nail. Full pdf here. I have to admit I’ve only bothered reading summaries so far!

6. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

They did release it (in the end)

It should have been newsworthy although it didn't contain any surprises they have decided to ignore it and pretend it didn't contain anything.

7. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

Political expediency, lack of spine...

I was simply offering a reason why there is little publicity for legal action about the referendum result. The lack of any legal obligation to implement the referendum means that winning a case to declare the result fraudulent does not change things with regard to the HoC decision to leave.