1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

“I’m looking to get back what I paid”.

Discussion in 'audio' started by narabdela, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Julf

Julf Facts are our friends

Half the internet is stumped.

2. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

English grammar was hardly taught, except in the most rudimentary sense, when I was at school in the 1960s except, ironically, by our German language teachers, who were horrified that we had so little formal knowledge of our own language. Apostrophes are very rarely used in German.

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Yes, the first time I came across tenses was via my teacher of French (he was English!) in the fifties. I've been to and taught at many schools, both junior and secondary, since 1974 and have come to the conclusion that English is not disseminated as it must be to learn another language. I really had no idea of modal verbs, gerunds, conditionals, tense structure and phrasal verbs etc. until I started teaching E.F.L.

That the vast majority of students above intermediate level also knew the grammatical formulae made me aware of the difference in language teaching here and (many places) abroad.