1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

“Shallow” Valve Integrated/power amps

Discussion in 'audio' started by Martian Sunrise, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Martian Sunrise

Martian Sunrise pfm Member

After moving my TT and amp up onto a shelf, I have limited depth (about 330mm) but heaps of height (about the same).

In looking for an amp with a smaller footprint, it dawned on me that I could get a valve amp up there (something I’ve never been able to accommodate before), if I could find one with a shallow depth - Tube Tech Unisis for example.

I am looking for suggestions. Integrated with a phone stage would be perfect but I could go line or a power amp and use a passive pre and my Trilogy. Speakers are Eatons.

Probably looking at up to £1,250

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Lebens are really cute/small, as is a Leak Stereo 20.

Tigerjones and TonyScarlett like this.
  3. starbuck

starbuck pfm Member

Croft power amps are only about 27cm deep, I think, so with connections they should still fit.

4. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

Yes certainly the Croft 5 is quite compact, and works very well with a passive.

5. Martian Sunrise

thanks - i see a couple have just been sold

6. Jason P

Jason P pfm Member

Ming Da Piccolo? Great little amp though no phono stage. Loved mine.

7. early

early pfm Member

Eastern Electric Minimax pre/power combo is very shallow , a second hand one would be well within budget and should work well with Tannoys .

8. Martian Sunrise

I’ll have a butcher’s. Thanks.
    I’m not sure 8w will be enough. I’d love to try the m520, but it’s a paving slab.

9. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

You be surprised, I ran a pair of Harbeth P3s (and various other speakers) on 8 watts of Eastern Electric. Fantastic amps, crystal clear.

10. Martian Sunrise

Okay- I take it back!

11. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

The M520 is also very nice but not as good as the Mini Max in my opinion.

12. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

+1
    I've had both those amps here and I agree that the Minimax pre/power combo is considerably better.

13. Martian Sunrise

Through your Eatons, by any chance? :)

14. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

No, through different speakers. The Minimax was through Tannoy 12" Golds, the M520 was through the Eatons. But the difference in character between those two amps was relatively large imo. I would expand on this but I have to dash!

15. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Remainiac Traitor

Tigerjones likes this.
  16. Martian Sunrise

That looks cool. I only need phono & dac

17. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

I’d love to try the Mini Max with my little Shahinians, I reckon they would sound real sweet.

18. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I had the mini max integrated, not sure if it's the same but it was 8w I think. Sweet as a nut it was, I often regret selling it especially for how much it went for.

That Quad looks interesting, all the inputs I'll ever need and the DAC only needs to be good enough. But. I. Don't. Need. Another. Amp. :rolleyes:

19. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Remainiac Traitor

I had the very same chat with myself when I looked at it. Would look good on my desk.

This one is a Leak Stereo 20 "clone". Big bigger in other dimensions and not as hi-tech as the Quad...

300mm 15W three inputs £900.

http://www.iconaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/20-ST-20pp-2016.pdf

[​IMG]

Icon also do a 30W EL34 amp that is just within budget, but also just breaks the 330mm depth criteria.

20. Martian Sunrise

330mm is the max. With RCA’s out the back it means overhang at the front.

I’m looking at a Unisis or a Croft v at this stage. I am assuming they both run as hot as each other.