1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

“That cyclist” who hit the horse.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony Lockhart, Jan 26, 2019.

1. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

Only in some ways?

2. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

VED doesn't pay for road repairs that comes from income, council and business taxes.

Anyone using the road be them cyclists, pedestrians, horse riders or car drivers are paying for the road repairs through other taxes.

Rockmeister likes this.
  3. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Closing the road for a bike race is fine and I agree with that. The issue in the case is that the road was NOT closed.

4. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Note that what I said about generating money for a charitable cause, I’m all up for that and although I’m disabled and can’t cycle myself, I’d happily sponsor someone here if they were taking part in a charity race.

On the other hand, if the race is organised by a private club for self fulfilment of its members with no charitable cause, they can work around other road users.

Don’t take my post as being an anti cyclist stance because it’s absolutely not meant that way.

5. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

In Plymouth last year, roads were closed in the city centre for a run, and a woman who needed to get out was lambasted for trying to drive out of the closed area. Her flats had not been informed of the closures. The run wasn't exactly vital to anything. https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/a77...ctions-and-drives-her-car-into-half-marathon/

6. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

It's explicitly legal. This event of course wasn't a race as such but a time trial, covered by different regulations and legal framework.

7. flatpopely

Hi Paul. Racing on the road is legal?

8. clifftaylor

clifftaylor Absolutely retired!

Yes, although the Police have to informed prior to the event (a month?).

9. flatpopely

I assume they have to agree?

10. clifftaylor

They could refuse, but would need very good reason(s) for doing so.

11. flatpopely

So it's legal to hold cycle race on an open road if the Police agree?

12. clifftaylor

13. flatpopely

14. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

I'm not racist, but...
    ...here in Snowdonia there seems to be one every few weeks in summer.

Too many.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  15. clifftaylor

Unless it's a Very Major Event (Tour de Yorkshire or whatever), it's almost impossible to get a road closed for a bike race.

16. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

When was the last time the Police approved a road race (not time trial) on an open road?

EDIT - just seen Cliff's post so no need to answer this.

17. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

Those blinkered, out of date fools who think that cyclists should only be able to compete on closed roads would do well to never, ever read about road rallying. They'll have cardiac arrests and write to their MPs!

matt j and clifftaylor like this.
  18. drummerman

drummerman pfm Member

Personally I have no problem with respectful cyclists (And motorists).

I enjoy watching sporting events and equally have absolutely no problem with occasional road closures for a few hours because of them. It brings people together and promotes fitness.

We have enough of those for other reasons, many lasting much longer.

19. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Cycle races should be restricted to private property, not public roads

20. drummerman

drummerman pfm Member

Why?