1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Formula 1 season

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Markus S, Feb 8, 2013.

1. GTM

GTM Resitance is futile

He is expected to give space. Adjust his line accordingly. NOT act as if Bottas wasn't even there.

The stupid thing about the incident is that Bottas had no actual chance of getting past Hamilton in to or around the corner, so Hamilton's over aggression just ended up penalising himself. Plus it must not be forgotten that he ENDED Bottas's race by his actions. A drive through was lenient if you ask me.

2. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

I think Hamilton was very hard done by with that penalty. But people see what they want to see.

Paul

3. KC Cantiaci

KC Cantiaci pfm Member

So why did Bottas go there? He put himself and Hamilton in a precarious position with nothing to gain.

4. TPA

TPA Trade: Tiger Paw

GTM, people will see these things differently. Having raced on and off for over 30 years my experience is that when you hoof down the outside of someone at the end of a straight you don't take too much for granted, and can expect a pretty rough ride round the outside. In fact, being granted a car's width is something of a luxury comparatively.

As you correctly point out, Bottas had no chance whatsoever of pulling the move off but did manage to successfully end his race and interfere with another car when he had atleast another 2 feet of track to play with. His refusal to be hung out to dry is the point here. Bottas needs to up his game if he wants to mix it with the front runners, this was not a complicated scenario.

5. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

Was Hamilton on the normal racing line when the contact happened out of interest?

I do think Hamilton had a right to wonder just what a Williams was trying to do unlapping itself under hard braking given that he would have received the blue flags within a couple of corners but then it's never taken much for the stewards to hand the Mercedes driver a penalty.

6. Cav

Cav pfm Member

The Stewards saw it and disagree with you and many others here and quite rightly in my view. Hamilton hit Bottas - fact. (and now Historee)

7. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Racing isn't just about pure overtaking, putting your competitor under pressure is also a factor and sometimes they cockup and make your life much easier.

LH was on the racing line but moved off on the approach, I suspect this was to put Bottas under pressure but he didn't give anything and they collided.

LH didn't need to make that move for the corner therefore he was in the wrong.

8. TPA

TPA Trade: Tiger Paw

I'm biased, I like the way LH races, so that clouds my opinion :D

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

To my mind it was a clear 'racing incident': Bottas made an unwise and arguably reckless overtaking attempt, Hamilton didn't react to it in the safest possible manner, both paid a price with serious damage to their cars. Does anyone honestly think Hamilton wanted that puncture? He did not deliberately drive into Bottas!

10. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

+1^ There does seem to be an 'agenda' against Hamilton at times.

11. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

They weren't racing for position, and from a single view of Hamilton's on-board my impression was that Bottas was going off all by himself.

FWIW LH left more than a car's space to the right in the braking zone of a left hander, so he compromised his line to accommodate the other car.

Paul

12. KC Cantiaci

KC Cantiaci pfm Member

Absolutely. Hamilton had already had a blow out and had to limp back to the pits as a result so the drive through was unnecessary IMO.

13. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

+1.

I think he'll end up racing in the US at some point. F1 seems to have a 'problem' with him.

F1 needs to looks at itself.

14. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Hamilton created his own problems.

I don't think he gets enough credit for the growth and improvement he's made in the past couple of seasons though. Maybe because his growth hasn't produced much in the way of results?

15. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Hamilton has a problem with F1

As do his blinkered supporters.

16. IanW

IanW pfm Member

Spot on. Hopefully he will get back to fighting for championships in the near future.

Not surprisingly I saw the Hamilton Bottas collision as a racing incident.

17. GTM

GTM Resitance is futile

Sure of course there is :rolleyes: Absolutely nothing to do with his history of being involved in significantly more incidents than other drivers. He was pulled up 6 times in one season once. Funny how the likes of Grosjean or Maldonado get (rightly) slated for their over aggressiveness/stupidity, but when it comes to Hamilton it must be some kind of "agenda".

He's overrated, I've always believed it and his performance has over time proven it. He scraped a WDC by a couple of points when easily in the most dominant car of that season. Ever since when he's been in less competitive cars he's not shown himself to be head and shoulders above his team mate, (except Kovalainen who's so-so at best) in fact he was completely out classed by Button back in 2011. He's not helped himself either with proclamations about "monkeys at the back" or likening himself to Senna etc

18. merlin

I'm sure Alonso feels exactly the same way and would appreciate your wisdom on the subject.

FWIW, I think Hamilton has suffered more than most with the changes to the rules and the new tyre formula. He was always a pure racer in the Schumacher, Senna mold IMHO. Natural instincts that served such pilots well in seasons past have needed to be curbed with the introduction of the "entertainment formula". Driving the car on the edge is no longer a factor in Grand Prix. I do wonder how Senna would have coped with today's regulations.

19. GTM

GTM Resitance is futile

Overrated doesn't equal bad. He's a very good driver clearly. Is he the "wunderkid" everyone was making him out to be in his first season? very clearly not. Hence overrated. He was also clearly being given all of the support over Alonso whilst they were both together.

20. merlin

Ah.

So your bitterness stems from that season.

That's OK. I understand A lot of people don't seem to have ever got over that - me included. Still think Alonso is a whinging nasty piece of work.

FWIW I think if the drivers were allowed to race, given Bridgestones and refuelling and unlimited stops, Hamilton would be the quickest and most exciting driver out there. That to me is Formula one. When we get back to that I'll start watching again. Can't be fun driving round for hours sticking to the speed limit. Might as well be an HGV driver.