1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 Photo Resolutions

Discussion in 'photo' started by Mr Perceptive, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

It's nearly a new year, and I managed to keep some of my 2018 resolutions namely print more and read more, so what are your photography inspired resolutions for 2019. Mine are:-

1) Print even more and bigger, there is nothing like a big print for inspiration

2) Do more photo projects, where pictures are linked by a theme

3) Worry even less about gear, I managed not to buy a camera or lens in 2018!!!

4) Buy less magazines (I am a magpie for such things) and buy more books (for more inspiration)

Lefty and gavreid like this.
  2. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Take more photos, use all my lenses!

Pete

Mr Perceptive and gavreid like this.
  3. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I took a lot of photos last year but it was mainly snapshots on holiday, so my resolution this year is to do more "proper" photography. That'll be partly with the full-frame DSLR I've just upgraded to, but I also quite fancy shooting some B&W film as well (35mm and medium format).

Mr Perceptive likes this.
  4. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

I've been stuck at a resolution of 4928 x 3280 since 2013.

Joe

5. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

I'd like to start to take photographs for myself again as i quite enjoy it. Will try and post some on here, and start getting little proof prints done of the best ones.

Mr Perceptive likes this.
  6. Lefty

Lefty Trade: Amar Sood Photo

Excellent :D

7. Space is the Place

Can anyone recommend me a good way of backing up photo files, I've been used to doing it manually on multiple drives in the past but, anyone point me to a good system?

8. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

9. Mr Perceptive

I use a Snology NAS unit, I can set up folders to auto sync, these are then mirrored on the NAS drive, not cheap but once set up just works

10. Space is the Place

Thanks, is it difficult to set up with a mac?

11. Mr Perceptive

Shouldn't be Synology's website has loads of info on it

12. Space is the Place

Many thanks! will order one after Xmas.

13. Mr Perceptive

They also have a useful configuration on their site, helps narrow the choice of hardware down

(I have a DS918+ with 3 x 4Tb western digital Red drives giving me 8Tb of mirrored storage using Synology's SHR system (allows mixed drive sizes). The WD Reds are WD recommended drives for NAS. I use mine for backup and for streaming music)

14. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

One of my unexpected pleasures recently was - after our company biennial study trip this year - I'd shot and contributed a set of pics that got quite some comments; and that lead to a follow-up in-house lunchtime show&tell with colleagues across the business on architectural photography, how - regardless of eqpt - to better capture what you 'see' with what you have to hand: all the simple things to most here - considering & filling the frame with your subject; light; people and movement, that kind of thing.

I enjoyed it, and it's leading to other marketing and professional interest; I find mentoring of younger staff -which I do anyway - rewarding. Add-in cultivation of interest in photography and I'm really looking-forward to exploring more of such next year.

unclepuncle and Mr Perceptive like this.
  15. Mr Perceptive

Martin that's great, there is enormous satisfaction to be gained from passing knowledge on and watching people learn.

BTW @Lefty and I are booked in for FotoFest'19 in Bath in September, a PFM meet should be on the cards......

http://fotofest.co.uk/

16. Lefty

Lefty Trade: Amar Sood Photo

Yes, a PFM meet around this event is a good idea :)

Lefty

17. martin clark

@Mr Perceptive
    @Lefty

Sorry chaps I'd missed this - yes, an excellent idea. Drop me a line nearer the time (added to calendar!) and we'll sort something out.
    ATB.

Mr Perceptive and Lefty like this.
  18. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

My resolutions are:

1) Do more "proper" photography (not just tourist snapshots)
    2) Shoot some 35mm and 120 film (just bought a 25mm Voigtlander Skopar to go on my almost completely unused Bessa-L so hoping that'll kick-start it!).
    3) Maybe joint a photography club to develop my skills!

19. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I might also be interested in the meet in Bath.

Lefty, Mr Perceptive and martin clark like this.
  20. martin clark

Good! - we can all take this to PM nearer the time (and for anyone else interested)