1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

2035 - the end of the Internal combustion engined cars. (Uk)

Discussion in 'off topic' started by tones, Feb 4, 2020.

1. tones

tones Tones deaf

2. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

Not extreme if you are an eleven year old.

3. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Nor optimistic if you are a politician, as 2035 does not force them to do anything significant now.
    Only bringing the cutoff before 2030 would have an effect during the current government

Snufkin likes this.
  4. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Typcal Johnson diversion. An environmental version of 'jam tomorrow'.

5. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

This time next year, Rodders...

Mullardman likes this.
  6. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

7. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

The way our glorious leaders are going I suspect the UK will implode long before we get to 2035.

8. tones

tones Tones deaf

See also thread "A bit extreme..."

9. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

10. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Where are the millions of charging posts going to go, and who will install them?

11. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

(a)Where they are needed.
    (b)Electricians. Just like we didn't have the internet 20 years ago, who installed all that?

12. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

The end?
    I doubt it.
    There will still be hundreds of thousands on the roads if not millions.
    It’s just new sales that will end.

Hoopsontoast likes this.
  13. slavedata

slavedata pfm Member

Will need a very big push on charging infrastructure.

14. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Good Afternoon All,

I wonder how many nay sayers will contribute to this thread as it has started already.

My greatest concern the mentioning of such as workplace charging, completely and utterly the wrong way to go as it moves charging to 'on peak' and that simply won't work in terms of achieving emissions targets. The issue of charging vehicles where there is genuinely no off street parking options will be a significant challenge though. Significant legislation will need to be introduced to mandate it.

Regards

Richard

15. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

From what I heard on the radio this morning, it is personal transport (cars and vans) new sales that are to be banned. The last that I heard was that they were a LONG way from any kind of commercial transport to replace diesel.

Personally, I would have thought that hydrogen-fuelled combustion engines was a FAR more practical and workable way to go than electric, or even hydrogen-fuel-cell-powered electric, not battery-powered electric - both WAY simpler on the infrastructure demands and no recharging, just refuelling, even if taking SLIGHTLY longer than with liquid fuels.
    They seemed to have been close to developing very highly hydrogen-adsorbent materials years ago, so that there was no need for pressure vessel fuel tanks for hydrogen. LPG-fuelled vehicles have been around for tens of years, not so very far from hydrogen-fuelled.

16. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

Just another fantasy soundbite from the master of the genre. He had to say something positive on climate and 15 years in the future is absolutely no promise whatsoever.

Roger Adams and stephen bennett like this.
  17. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I had the internet over 20 years ago - it used the existing telephone lines. Cable came a bit later of course (though it was available by 2000), but even today there are areas that haven’t been cabled.

18. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Somewhat missing the point really - utc et al had already committed to only 5 years later.

Nobody believes that entirely carbon-free personal transport will be feasible in 20 years, politicians of any and all stripe can pontificate away, it will make no odds.

19. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Sadly, we are talking kW as compared to mW in terms of distribution, and let's not get into generation....................

In 2018, the UK used over 36 million tonnes of petroleum products for road transport. I am trying to find what that equates to in GWhr (and hence how many power stations), but it will be one HELL of a lot.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...t_data/file/840015/DUKES_2019_MASTER_COPY.pdf

20. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

why charge a hydrogen fuel cell?
    or a hybrid regenerating some of it's own electric?
    Or why not when you get home, trickling overnight when power damnd nationally is low.

How many of us live and work in cities, or more than 20 or 30 miles from home. Any electric car will cover those distances.
    Londoners probably are in deeper probs, many with no parking let alone charging and theft problems will be HUGE...hence hydrogen fuel cell as the real future. It's happening already as it slowly drifts through the government collective skull that those electric car probs are very tough to solve.

15 years is two car life spans, and it's only new car sales even then. Petrol and diesl will probably run on another 10 years, so maybe 25 years to solve this and replace the infrastructure. That should self solve anyway if it IS Hydrogen. I think Shell and Esso et all will be quite keen to retain a market share in supplying the motor industry and can fairly simply convert stations to Hydrogen over the years surely. 1 pump in each station within say 2 years and ten in 20 years time. There will be a diesel pump still in a shame corner, where children gather to throw tomatoes at anyone using it. Job done.