1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

6 Nations Rugby

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rockmeister, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

2. Andrew C!

Don’t bite. Mind you, soccer could do with proper VAR and manners.

3. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I wasn't going to reply ;) I do think rugby should be banned though, my Mum was a physio and treated some terrible neck and back injuries in young kids.

4. Spike

Spike pfm Member

And how many kids have broken legs etc in football? Stupid comment. Coached both at under 18 level and in my experience over 25 years not a great deal of difference. Indeed, only know 3 kids who ended with career ending injuries - from football. However, that is not scientific. Your argument is equally facile.

5. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Nobody should take up the game ignorant of the facts - unfortunately that's far from the case at School level where kids are often forced to play

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/28/is-rugby-now-too-dangerous-for-children-to-play

6. wacko

wacko pfm Member

How young ? Sounds like were not supervised properly.
    Rugby has been changing the rules to make serious injury less likely. Most sports have some risk: ever been hit by a cricket ball ? Or a hockey ball ?

7. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

One of the big issues is the enormous variation in height and weight between early teens, especially these days as kids are some getting so much larger overall.

8. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Fortunately in rugby, the different positions cater for all shapes and sizes. No way I could have played scrum half, but made a pretty reasonable second row!

Wilson likes this.
  9. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

10. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

11. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

^Rugby is inherently violent - that's the difference.

12. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Far less so than a lot of football supporters.

13. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I'm not talking about the supporters I'm talking about the game as you well know!

14. wacko

wacko pfm Member

On the contrary you have to learn to control your emotions or you are off the pitch.

Wilson likes this.
  15. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

It’s actually a pretty safe game when played correctly. Any nonsense and a proper ref will send you off.

Wilson likes this.
  16. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

the guys playing the game these days are enormous compared to my day 30+ years back, it's more like american football with the tackles it seems.

gavreid likes this.
  17. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Good to see Scotland at the top of the table! I think the Scotland/Ireland match next week will be a cracker. England played surprisingly well. They could be world beaters with a Cipriani in there. It pains me to say that ....

18. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Huge fan of Cipriani. However, looks like his day has passed. Great shame. Could still come down to No Dicks rule. I also wonder if he doesn't fit with Eddies game play. he certainly is not better than Farrell. I'd still like him as a replacement.

19. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

I was never a fan of Farrell or Wilkinson. I prefer more creative individuals at fly-half. I prefer Ford to Farrell, but at the end of the day it is just my opinion.

20. Andrew C!

The opposite, here. Big fan of Wilkinson, and a current fan of Farrell.

SteveS1 likes this.