1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

"99% of pop music sound(s) tepid"

Discussion in 'music' started by gassor, Jul 6, 2009.

1. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

In the Sunday Times record review yesterday the critic, CD, in a review of Charlie Gillett's latest compilation of world music said the artists on the record were "testament to the fact that world music makes 99% of pop sound tepid".

I suppose it depends on what is is included as "pop" music, but surely pop has to include all sorts and shapes of music makers from the old curmudgeons like Neil Young and Steve Earle to shiny new innovators like St Vincent, Hot Chip and the glorious Glasvegas. But to put a more realistic figure on it how about 50% of pop music is tepid these days. Witness the frenzy for a reformed but depleted Take That. 50% will do as a working hypothesis in my opinion.

80% of country music is tepid, sames for hip hop and even higher for R n B, but the figure for world music is far lower. The Sunday Times guy set me thinking but he/she has exaggerated in a ludicrous way. Don

2. Anex

Anex Señor Member

That is the key lesson here. That, and it's not worth listening to what newspaper 'critics' think about music.

3. dss

dss Musical Bons

"World Music" is it.

Is there any other type?

DS

4. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

World music?

How very "Q" magazine circa 1985. ;-)

5. Spiderous

Spiderous pfm Member

Do you reckon amazonian tribes consider U2 or Sting to be "World Music"?

Or just shite?

6. Simon Dawson

Simon Dawson Angry, Ill & Ugly

Both

7. jimdgoulding

jimdgoulding Registered User

World Music, the genre, isn't for everybody. A good introduction can be seen by googling the BBC World Music Awards.

8. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Space Is The Place

9. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

:D
    The more I think about it, the funnier it gets.

[​IMG]

10. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

Don, id say stop reading rubbish articles, how many minutes did you waste reading it? You could have been on spotify or last fm doing a bit of hunting looking for music that excites you:)

Jon

11. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

99% of every musical genre is tepid. The 1% that isn't more than makes up for it though.

12. joel

joel Painter of Dragons, Maker of Mirrors

>99% of Wayapi trumpet "music" is most excellent, as I'm sure you would agree ;-)

PS, wouldn't be too surprised if the ST reviewer in question was a m8 of Charlie's. It's a very small world.

13. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

100% of the Wayapi music I've heard is fantastic :)

14. Markus S

Markus S 41 - 29

Seconded.

15. dss

dss Musical Bons

I suppose :

Space Rock > World Music > Euro pop > French rock

in the scheme of scope is it.

DS

16. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Thanks to all who responded. I don't feel we got very far on this one. I feel the Sunday Times guy got it totally wrong and I am annoyed that he could make such fatuous statements.

I tried to provoke a response by making similar claims with no basis for assertions like 80% of jazz is tepid. I thought I could get a response that I wasn't capable of making myself.

I havent got enough hours in the day even when not working to enjoy all the music I like, so there is plenty of wonderful stuff out there even if it is a tiny fraction of all the music made.

Finally the cartoon is hilarious and a big thanks for that. I wont go along with the cynics and say that 1% of everything is crap anyway, just remember Scottish malt whisky and you will agree this is something which is 99% fantastic. Don

17. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

99 per cent of music isn't original but is a pastiche, copy or synthesis.

That includes Glasvegas, although they aren't bad.

Baaba Maahl is okay, but he ain't Marley.

Music as a revolutionary cultural or social force seems utterly dead to me.

The tribute to Michael Jackson a few days ago is a prime example of that.

Jack

18. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

I feel Denselow was being generous in saying that only 99% was tepid. I'd personally say 80% execreble, 15% vapid, 4.5% tepid, .5% worthwhile.

Chris

19. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Saying that '99% of pop music sound(s) tepid' is pretentious drivel, as are many of the posts here. Some people think they are über-cool, in fact they are pathetic.

Most people listen to music because they find it fun, danceable or relaxing, and chances are that these people are themselves much more fun than a spectacled geek pretending to enjoy Laurie Anderson. The lions' share of music sold/downloaded today is of the 'tepid' sort, that's what people want and it would be 1) utterly pretentious to pretend that other's tastes are 'wrong' and 2) stupid not to give them what they want and make loads of money in the process.

Did this idiot of journalist write which music he considered worth listening to ? Let's have a laugh.

20. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

The tribute he got was the very least thing the world owed him for his generosity as an entertainer.

Can you give us a few examples, Jack, of music having been a 'revolutionary cultural or social force' ?

And please don't come up with the Beatles or the Stones, they were merely elements of the pop movement which encompassed many other arts like literature (Borroughs etc.), painting (Warhol), cinema (Nouvelle Vague) etc.

Richard Wagner's music did have some social influence in its time and, to a lesser extent, in WWII, but again the political/social context was far more important than Wagner's musical input.

So basically I think there great and not-so-great artists in any period of time, and difficult or unusual political and social situations certainly help in bringing out artists of exceptional talent. Same goes with statesmen by the way.

For instance, I consider Bob Dylan a more talented songwriter than Michael Jackson, but Dylan also lived in a far more interesting period of time (after the war). But as a dancer as well as vocally he wasn't nearly as good as MJ so each to his own.