1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A Big Issue

Discussion in 'off topic' started by wyjsar, Mar 22, 2020.

1. wyjsar

wyjsar Nothing but heart

We could have done, and can do, a bit more.
    I went to the office in London on Monday - didn't really need to but wanted to have a drink with a good friend before she'd be out of my sight for a few months. Before she turned up I was having a smoke in the alleyway outside the pub and a homeless guy came up. I gave him a fiver. Halfway to a bed for the night. He said forty quid would secure him a week.
    Not enough from me.
    This Saturday - went to Waitrose. There's a Big Issue seller there and I normally don't buy the Big Issue. But I gave her a tenner. I could have given her more. I didn't. Then on Saturday evening I saw an article saying that to keep them protected from coronavirus the Big Issue would move online only. Funds would be distributed on to sellers. So, I won't see her next week for another tenner or twenty or whatever I can spare. I think people buy it when they see it, or when (like me) they feel guilty that we could do a bit more. It needs visibility. It needs sellers. So - the Big Issue is going to be a bit more invisible from now on. Poverty won't be invisible. I'll be setting up a direct debit...

cctaylor, ks.234, Roger Adams and 3 others like this.