1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

a chicken for taste and conscience?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rockmeister, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

My usual chicken is stamped 'free range/corn fed' and flippin delicious as supermarket birds go. Soft, juicy, well flavoured and a decent price. For Christmas, I bought myself an 'organic' bird, to feel righteous whilst I thought, enjoying chemical free deliciousness. Twice the price but worth it surely???
    WRONG!!
    Tough, stringy and with less flavour.
    Someone tell me it's 'ok' to just buy 'free range' and keep my tum happy as well as my concsience?
    Or suggest what stamping identifies a bird with good flavour and texture and a happy life.
    Ta.

2. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis <((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.

You are clearly too accustomed to the factory model. Soft, cotton wool meat that falls off the bone after a cursory spell in the oven. A properly reared bird is a different animal altogether. It has muscles where the others only have growth induced flesh . Needs more care and cooking. Maybe try a local farm bird?

Nic Robinson and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  3. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

All my life I've used my grans timing. 20 mins per lb + 20 mins. Oven starts at 190, goes down to 170 for most of the cooking and up to 190 again 20 mins from the end, after the last baste, to brown the breast skin. Never failed me until last night, and her chickens were def not from a factory! Still all advice on better methods welcome!

4. Cav

Cav pfm Member

If it says free range and corn fed, then, by Law it must be so. You clearly enjoy that.

I am never sure what "organic" means since anything that grows is organic.

5. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

I think it's something to do with the use of chemicals to promote rapid growth (the NON use, in 'organic' Cav), but not sure.

6. deanf

deanf pfm Member

Don’t the Hairy Bikers and a Heston soak the chickens in brine, butter under the skin, slow roast for longer then whack up the heat for the last 20 minutes? Throw two halves of lemon in the cavity if you’re posh, go to KFC if you’re not.

7. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

yes but WHICH chicken? That's the question :)

8. Copperjacket

Copperjacket pfm Member

Interested in the replies to this as I find organic corn fed chickens to generally be inediblely fatty.
    Please don’t forget to factor regional variation as in my experience the meat sold by Supermarkets in the South of the UK tends to be of a better quality than that sold in Scotland.

Rockmeister likes this.
  9. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

I’m a Neanderthal when it comes to chicken for a Sunday roast. For convenience you can’t beat Sainsbury’s cook in the bag.. don’t knock it until you’ve tried it... honestly.

Fatmarley likes this.
  10. deanf

deanf pfm Member

Providing it’s not been mistreated go for the one on offer.

11. slavedata

slavedata pfm Member

[QUOTE="Please don’t forget to factor regional variation as in my experience the meat sold by Supermarkets in the South of the UK tends to be of a better quality than that sold in Scotland.[/QUOTE]
    Interesting comment this how did you come to this conclusion?

12. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

why are you shouting. We only buy Waitrose organic free range. Yes the texture is more toothsome but that is way it should be. If it is soft then there is something wrong.

Alternatively the tastiest is Poulet de Bresse https://www.frenchclick.co.uk/p-3982-poulet-de-bresse-10-20kg.aspx

oh and fat=flavour

13. Copperjacket

Copperjacket pfm Member

In general, Living and working in several different locations in the UK and being a keen cook rather than living on ready meals.

Being more particular, having bought several packs of meat for bbqs at home only to find them of indifferent quality and then a week later, staying with friends near Newbury, we also decided to have a bbq. When we went shopping in the same supermarket, he chose identical packs of meat. I demurred but he stated that he had bought the same thing the previous weekend and it was delicious and so it proved.

14. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Rocky you're scottish and will therefore just batter and fry it so go for the cheapest possible (try stuffing it with a mars bar)

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Hope you've got that right, as Aussie slang for chicken is 'chook'.

Greek chicken can be done with the cheapest SM bird. Simmer with onions, celery, carrots and w.h.y.. Take out, stuff thin onion rings under the skin (everywhere), rub lots of garlic and pepper into the skin and roast. The stock is useful, too.

16. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Here in Italy a common alternative to chicken is guinea fowl. Known here as "faraona".Maybe they raise them in the UK too? Much better than chicken, or rather a bit pheasant-like, stronger flavour, more fat in the meat, more like the taste of the wing or leg of a chicken, less like the breat. (If that makes any sense....) They are much more expensive, but raised on the ground.

17. Thorn

Thorn pfm Member

I had a capon for Christmas, from Herbfed Poultry, near York. Delicious.

18. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

These things are a bit like "class A" in amps -- full of things designed to mislead the consumer. Caveat emptor.

Free range doesn't mean that the chicken actually pecked around a barnyard, all it means is that its barn had an opening allowing it to wonder out. What was outside the barn may have been concrete and anyway the chicken may have rarely if ever left. And the conditions inside the barn may have left a lot to be desired.

The best tasting chickens I know have been fed on vegetables before slaughter. I buy my from Randalls in London SW17. I've also had decent chickens from The Ginger Pig in Marylebone and from the stall on the market in Bute Street in South Kensington. I realise these tips aren't useful to everyone. I won't buy supermarket chickens -- I'd rather do without.

My suspicion is that "corn fed" makes more of a difference to colour than flavour and texture. For how long does a chicken have to be fed on corn for it to be labelled "corn fed"? And how much of its food mix has to be corn?

The age of the chicken matters tremendously for flavour and texture.

Note that organic is no guarantee of flavour. Organic vegetables may have been grown hydroponically, which isn't conducive to good flavour. My own feeling is that organic is a bit of a con.

Nic Robinson, Rockmeister and Ginger like this.
  19. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Corn fed is sh*te, makes them much too fat so the supermarkets can sell them at a higher weight. Look for Organic rather than FR - twice the price unfortunately.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  20. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Yes but they import the eggs from France and grow them on here - they don't say FR or Organic though so I presume they are not.