1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

a chicken for taste and conscience?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rockmeister, Dec 27, 2019.

1. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Can you explain why?

2. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

Here's the right place to start:

http://www.volaillelabelrouge.com/en/what-is-label-rouge-poultry/

I've a feeling the French really don't give a stuff about animal welfare - they care about the quality of the meat produced, and it just so happens that for poultry, the best meat comes from traditional free range chickens, so that's what they do.

3. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

FR means 13 birds to a square metre with access to outdoors (that they don't take). It's actually quite difficult to get at the real meanings try the RSCPA

4. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Try using a cheap meat probe alarm so it cooks exactly to the just done temperature, or even a couple of degrees below and let it finish off the last couple whilst it's resting.

gintonic and blossomchris like this.
  5. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Thanks. But what does "organic" mean in terms of living conditions, diet and welfare?

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

No, you can't use hydroponics for organic veg, it's in the regs. Organic certification needs to be awarded by a certification body that inspects the premises, records, blah blah. You don't meet the standard, no ticket. No ticket, no logo on the pack.

7. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

So is this misleading?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_hydroponics

Ah it looks as though this is a difference between US and EU and something which could change here post Brexit

http://www.efrc.com/?i=articles.php&art_id=924&go=Information and publications

What about things labelled as organic with no logo -- when tesco has a pile of butternut squash which it describes as organic, but which doesn't have any logo or any other accreditation?

(by the way, can someone tell me why organic butternut squash isn't as nice as inorganic? I'd actually assumed it was hydroponically grown. )

8. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Chickens don’t do well grown that way. Ducks however...?

9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

You'd have to ask Tesco. They'll tell you.

10. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

11. deanf

deanf pfm Member

If corn fed chickens are yellow inside, when they do my autopsy there’s a good chance I’ll be tikka coloured.

sean99, roman and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  12. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

[​IMG]
    Delicious and guilt-free.

13. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

FR is defined by EU Regulation 543/2008 and Organic by 889/2008. Organic birds have to have daily access to the outdoors for at least one third of their lives and are reared to a lower stocking density than free range. I've not looked the regs up.

14. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

We eat Aldi Free Range chicken.

I cut off any excess fat, then roast with absolutely nothing added - no oil, nothing. I turn the bird every 20 mins or so, so that it is self basting. Usually start with the breast on the bottom of the roasting pan.

After roasting I cover the bird with foil and other insulation (t-towels) for a minimum of 30 mins, more than likely an hour. Always succulent, and one can add salt/pepper on the plate.

foxwelljsly likes this.
  15. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Get a big bird for flavour, most of the nasties have been banned for UK production esp if it's Red Tractor approved.

A very strict stocking rate max of 38kg chicken per square meter is applied; helped by selling a proportion of poussin a few weeks before final size is reached.

Water and feed consumption are closely monitored and the birds are frequently checked to ensure a happy life.

Chicken production is amazingly efficient; my poultry lecturer was instrumental in the post war expansion of the industry.

Unfortunately for this debate the emphasis from government was to produce a cheap form of protein without any taste to put off those who might dislike a chickeny flavour.

I've got complete confidence in the pre slaughter disease checks so aim to leave plenty of pinkness in the meat when served; i'm still alive.

16. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Another factor is omega 3 around the brown meat, the birds have to be reared slowly and be able to run around or there just isn't any basically.

17. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

18. Copperjacket

Copperjacket pfm Member

There remains the issue of slaughter since in the main this is Halal

19. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

The OP made no reference to price.

20. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

In the slaughterhouse we use this seems to involve three guys taking turns chanting at a key point in the line; for a nominal fee obvs!