1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A final CD player?

Discussion in 'audio' started by RichardA, Aug 29, 2019.

1. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

Have used an Resolution Audio Opus 21 on and off for over 15 years. Its been great.
    At various times I have attempted to upgrade from it (trying separate transports and DACs) but have always come back to it.
    Tempted again to see if I can land something better and have the option to pick up a used Rega Isis SS. Haven't listened to it yet. Expect build quality to be great and like the idea of spare mechs to help longevity.
    Which alternatives have members gone to from either the Opus unit or the Isis (at semi sensible prices)? [I don't use SACDs and only used Spotify on mobile devices to check out new music before buying.]

2. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

The RA Opus 21 is a great sounding bit of kit and a tough act to follow, but the Isis might be the player to beat it, they do sound fantastic and the build quality is truly superb.

Rack Kit, Cereal Killer and RichardA like this.
  3. PerF

PerF Member

Not that many used Rega_Isis on the market
    If the price is right I'd suggest you just grab it.

If Rega launch an Aethos CD it may be another option.

RichardA likes this.
  4. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

I don't really qualify to answer since I haven't come from an RA, but anyway if you want heritage build quality and sound, I'd always look to the best of Japan. In particular, Luxman.
    http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=13
    I've settled on one of these. Owned it now for 10 years and it remains fautless. Nor have I (yet) to hear a sound I prefer. Quite a bargain given the cost of the models above it :)

RichardA likes this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Whereas I've not has the Opus, I did go from old Meridian 2 box to their G08, which was excellent. Thence to valved 2 box Lector (Italian), which was in a totally different sonic league (said all the local bake-off and dealer friends). Then bought the 4 box version, which was a step up in refinement rather than a major jump. There I shall remain, and all still say this is the best CDP they've heard.

The Isis has an excellent rep., but if I were going for one, I'd opt for the valved Isis every time. You may think that a valved CDP might be overkill in an all valved 2 x monobloc and pre. plus big ESLs, but it is not. Good as the Opus undoubtedly was and likewise the Meridian (albeit different), I doubt that either could compete with an upmarket valved CDP.

RichardA likes this.
  6. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

Price is £2,700 which is broadly what I have seen elsewhere.

7. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

The D05 unit certainly looks v smart. Thanks for the tip. The drawer mechanism is more appealing that the rega top loader - easier to accommodate in a rack and when I experimented with a project top loading transport and Dac a few years ago, it was a faff.

8. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

I will take a look at the Lector units but going to a 4 box would be a step to far - I have tended towards simplifying my kit over the years after getting to a ridiculous position ages ago with a multi box active set up and loads of separate power supply boxes etc. The novelty of having a complex set up wore off very quickly for me.

The Rega Isis Valve would no doubt be fab but they seem to be even rarer. I do like valves - my pre is an EAR 912 - but I hopefully the SS version will give me a big enough lift when I demo it. I will make sure never to try the Valve one just in case!!

9. datay

datay pfm Member

The Hegel Mohican is styled as a "final" CD player, I'd be auditioning that if in budget.

10. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

RichardA likes this.
  11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Personally I’d split it into a transport and DAC as that way money spent on a really nice DAC won’t then be wasted if the transport dies.

gx502 and Tim F like this.
  12. rn82497

rn82497 pfm Member

Rega keeps two(?) additional transports for each Isis. Also the Isis has a USB input - which works rather well! I'm currently using a Stack Audio Link with my Isis will really rather good results.

Rack Kit likes this.
  13. GML

GML pfm Member

I've been using a Rega ISIS for a few years now. It is a superb player and extremely well built. I use it with a PMC Cor integrated amplifier and recently added Falcon LS3/5a speakers. My advice is if you find a used one at reasonable money grab it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Tarzan and Rack Kit like this.
  14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Snap ! Mine with 509s

Wasn't particularly recommending the Lector to you; more the concept and presentation of a valved CDP. Anyway, it's top-loading (as is the Rega) which does restrict placement somewhat.

15. Iceman16

Iceman16 pfm Member

The Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP is also worth a look. Its one of the best cdp I’ve heard.

maccar likes this.
  16. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

17. mjw

mjw pfm Member

Wigston is near Leicester. Unless it’s unfeasible for you, my advice would be arrange an audition, take your card reader widget (not cash) and arrange with your bank to make a ‘faster payment’ (i.e. instantaneous) from your phone app. if you decide to buy. You can explore transferable warranty before you go after he’s disclosed the supplying dealer. If any of the process starts to smell, walk.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    RichardA likes this.
  18. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

loads of bargains around at the moment , vitus amps half price ,and other stuff . its summer and nothing much sells . as mjw says though , tread carefully as always

RichardA likes this.
  19. Killersteve

Killersteve pfm Member

I really appreciate the Isis too. Big value for the money.

20. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

I am obligated to suggest Accuphase.

maccar likes this.