1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A German Life - Goebells Secretary Remembers - BBC 4 22:00 hrs.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by MikeMA, May 13, 2019.

1. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Exploring the life of Brunhilde Pomsel. I thought this looked as though it might be worth a look. It's based on a series of interviews Pomsel gave in 2016 when she was 105 (!), and one of the last surviving witnesses of the Nazi power apparatus. Always useful to know how this stuff worked, just in case.

twotone likes this.
  2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Maggie Smith just finished a monologue based on these interviews on 11/05 at the Bridge Theatre.
    Pomsel refused to talk about it before these interviews.

3. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

No reason to think the same methods won’t work here. Just look at Nige’s latest rally. An audience hungry for their problems to be everyone else’s fault and an opposition that is hopelessly divided. Be afraid.

4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Ive a friend who’d seen it and they said it was a remarkable performance. The table and chair she’s sat on, move very slowly and imperceptibly toward the audience and the lighting dims to just a spot on her at the end.

5. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I've not seen the Maggie Smith monologue, but having watched the first half hour of the original Pomsel interview late last night I can well imagine that Miggie Smith would have been very well suited to the part.

I tried following the first half hour of the Pomsel interview in German but found it very hard going. I shall watch the rest tonight and read the subtitles! My initial impression was how Pomsel seemed amazingly well and sharp for someone aged 105.

denni55 likes this.
  6. denni55

denni55 pfm Member

how would you describe her complexion then?....Galapagos comes to mind..

TheDecameron likes this.
  7. Bob McC

She looked like WH Auden. His skin was reptilian through years of heavy smoking. Looking at her teeth it looked like she was a smoker.

denni55 likes this.
  8. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Did anyone see the programme on before hand? It featured the descendants of prominent Nazis describing their lives trying to comprehend the sins of fathers, uncles, grandfathers.... There was one scene in which the grandson of the Auschwitz commandant made his first visit there, and was asked to address a group of Israeli students. It was almost unbearably moving.

9. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

Yes it was good and very interesting, and the general subject was not something I'd not really considered before.
    I was a bit Nazi'd out by the end of that so only watched about 15mins of the secretary, may watch it again on catch-up. She did look striking, in some sort of way. Her skin, the lighting etc.

10. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Lonesome George type o’thing?

denni55 likes this.
  11. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Not seen the documentary yet, but I imagine so. Skin wearing so thin, the lizard overlord is showing through. That sort of thing.

denni55 likes this.
  12. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Yes, it was a repeat and I'd seen it before, but it was well worth watching again. I agree that Hoess' trip to Auschwitz and his meeting with the Jewish group was the most moving part of the whole programme. I also found Katrin, Heinrich Himmler's great niece, a fascinating and, I have to admit, immensely attractive character. If nothing else, programmes like this remind me never to judge people by their family background.

13. twotone

twotone pfm Member

I thought that she came across as total Nazi, she never lost that philosophy I think, not watched the entire documentary but watched a good bit of it.

When she talked about 'not wanting to upset 'the Jew' (her employer) after she had gone to see Hitler with her boy friend on 30th Jan 1933, I found that pretty disturbing.

The scenes from the Warsaw Ghetto in particular were unbelievable, I've seen some horrific Nazi war crime stuff in the past but I could barely look at the footage of the two corpses (two young boys) lying in the street with people rushing past holding their noses.

The scenes of footage of hand prints up the wall in the gas chamber were also horrific.

https://www.dw.com/en/goebbels-secretary-claimed-she-knew-nothing-of-nazi-crimes/a-19371656

Hitler's royal suite: servants at the power core They were close to the dictator - and yet still refused to accept having known about Nazi crimes. These people dealt with their own roles in the Nazi systems in various ways. (05.04.2017)

14. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

What side were the documentaries on?

15. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

There’s not much Pro-Nazi TV these days. That may change of course if our populist, nationalist parties get any serious traction.

eternumviti likes this.
  16. twotone

twotone pfm Member

BBC4, they'll be on BBC iPlayer.

eternumviti likes this.
  17. Bob McC

18. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Ha! I wondered who would be first out of the chocks.

19. twotone

twotone pfm Member

In all seriousness what did you think about the programme? (presuming that you watched it).

Personally I wouldn’t give this nazi bstards the respect that the producers of this programme gave to the old nazi who clearly didn’t changed her position politically throughout her entire adult life.

Frankly those people shouldn’t be afforded any public platform to continue to deny what the Nazis did.

There was absolutely no contrition shown or empathy with the victims of the Nazis the only emotion shown was for the seven children poisoned by their mother.

20. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I haven't seen it yet, but I find that the entire matter of the lack of contrition on the part of so many nazis affords us some kind of an insight into the extremes of the human condition, even if those insights leave us with more questions than answers.

I can never quite get my head around the fact that many, many thousands of dedicated nazis, no lack of mass-murderers amongst them, just amalgamated back into society post-war, and lived normal lives, with normal careers, families and so on. Many, who knows, perhaps most of them, remained uncontrite, and unreformed in their admiration for Hitler. I saw some of the same phenomenon in the recent documentary on the Wacko siege, where the survivors wished that they had stayed inside to be consumed by the flames, and expressed no emotion at the deaths of all those children.

twotone likes this.