1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A Hornet in the house!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by George J, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Gingerbeard

Gingerbeard pfm Member

That is an amazing photo JoeP - What lens, camera did you use to capture that?

I am a fan to, amazing creatures, not sure how I would feel about coming face to face with one at half a metre in size though. Funny how things have shrunk so much over time

2. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Yes, David in the Archers got a lot of stick for doing just this a few years ago.

3. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Ginger,

Sorry, that's not my picture. I did take this one, though.

[​IMG]

It was taken with Fuji Velvia or Provia slide film (I can't recall), using the old manual focus Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4 AIS on a Nikon F3.

Joe

Rob998 likes this.
  4. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I drove to a wedding in Somerset last month and at one point, when we’re near our destination, I was on a dual carriageway littered at the side with dead foxes, badgers and at one point a deer.

5. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

Busy buggers, those faaaahgrmers.

6. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Badgers dead at the side of the road are road kill.

I ran one over myself a few years ago, it was bloody awful. I had to go back and adminster the 'coup de grace', it would have just died in agony. Big, solid creatures, very heavy. The first one I found years ago, and I brought it home and buried it, didn't want the location to attract n'er do wells with dogs, of which there are sadly plenty. I regularly see them running on the road at night, they just appear, and move rapidly.

7. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Perhaps not in all cases, but the one I hit en route to a 999 call definitely was. (Was a while back, whilst on traffic, and driving a T5 estate)

8. Gingerbeard

Gingerbeard pfm Member

Still a fine effort JoeP and lovely bokeh from that lens

9. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

10. Gingerbeard

Gingerbeard pfm Member

I feel for you, I would hate to hit a badger as I know just how big they are. I have seen one or two out here in rural Derbyshire but this is on single track country lanes when driving home late from work and I drive slowly, not like the locals (i'm new to the area!) who seem to fly around the lanes as if nobody will ever be coming the other way! :eek:

Perhaps as there is so much more traffic on the roads there are is likely to be more kills, I dread to think how much on a year by year basis, but bet the figures are staggering. A percentage is definitely down to farmers (how much, I couldn't say).

11. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The famous line from John Carpenter’s The Thing comes to mind, “I don’t know what that thing is in there but it’s weird and really pissed off”.

Suffolk Tony likes this.
  12. Gingerbeard

Gingerbeard pfm Member

Ooh, very nice

gintonic likes this.
  13. George J

George J Herefordshire member

The Hornet Saga continues.

At the weekend I learned that the nest of hornets which produced my three invaders is in an outbuilding, and one of them went into a neighbour's flat and stung a child with fairly traumatic consequences for a very frightened infant who ended up in hospital.

But two more came into my house as I got up at about 05:25 [BST] this morning. They, also, ended up inside my Henry Hoover like the first three.

Apparently the managing agent is going to get the pest control people in to remove the nest as clearly these creatures have stopped playing nice.

It is shame, but as the building here was built in 1836 I think we can claim prior rights in this case.

Best wishes from George

14. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

gosh terrible news, a good reason to choose not to have FOL

15. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

Love dragonflies

[​IMG]Dragonfly_3 by Ian123_running, on Flickr

[​IMG]Dragonfly_1 by Ian123_running, on Flickr

Suffolk Tony and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  16. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

Careful out there George... This one is foreign but clearly dangerous!

btw how do you recognise a UK hornet from a wasp or bee? Really I don't know. Is it size, colouring or shape?

17. George J

If you know the size of a Queen Wasp, then think perhaps a quarter to a half inch longer and you have the Hornet.

Hornets vary in how yellow [like a wasp] or orange they actually are according to whether they are the British variant of the common European specie, or more browny/orange the continental type is. Here in Herefordshire we still have the British type apparently.

Normally they are rather pacific and uninterested in humans, and rarely find themselves inside a domestic dwelling. However, by the number of incursions here at the moment, then something is wrong. Apparently the nest in the outhouse here is large in size, so perhaps the colony is attempting to split and form another base?

Unfortunately as being allergic to insect stings, I can afford to take no risks with an easily potentially fatal string from a hornet, bee or wasp.

Best wishes from George

ian123running likes this.
  18. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

Something about the size of my head flew into one of the vendor rooms at the North West Audio show this year (think it was the Fanthorpes room). I did notice one of the blokes doing the demo backed away across the room and left his colleague still talking about whatever he was on about. I wasn't paying much attention at that point and quickly moved on to the next room...

gintonic likes this.
  19. George J

The hornet nest has been found. It is in the apex of the gable over my front room, some thirty or thirty five foot up.

The pest control company has just visited, so that should be an end to it. I have had seven of them inside so far.

Apparently there are huge numbers of them in the wild very close by and these never cause problems as they are not close to houses as such or interested in humans. The Bromyard Downs and Bringsty Common are unusual these days in that there is a lot of rather rare insect life still thriving here, plus some extremely rare wild orchids. Also we have wonderful wild hawks and so on. A wonderful sight to see them hunting. Hovering and then diving down on some too slow vole or whatever.

Best wishes from George

20. kevinrt

kevinrt pfm Member

If you ever get a bat invasion again this video shows you how to deal with it:

Kevin

doctorf likes this.