1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A-levels, postscript

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Woodface, Aug 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

My parents did their best but with hindsight were not that supportive in the run up to Uni, never went to an open day or helped me find accommodation but I didn't know any better at the time.

I hope to see him once a term as I am up in Newcastle every 6-8 weeks & it is great to be able to text etc. He's just such a great son so I will miss him, gulp.

alan967tiger and droodzilla like this.
  2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

My kids came home every vacation when they were at Leeds and Durham.
    Some vacations they had to, their rooms were used by the universities for conferences.

3. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Just finalised his accommodation, shortly replacing one mortgage with another.

4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Yeah, he will be home every holiday but I'm not going 10 weeks without seeing him.

5. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Blimey!

6. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Just managed to grab him some decent accommodation, had to go private with Unite in the end. Thick end of £600 a month for 8 months a year, sooner I pay the mortgage off the better!

7. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

cheap

surely that's down to him. I refused to have mine visit for 2 years. It was great being responsible for my own actions

8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Jesus. I rented a 2 bed house for not much more than that for the whole year! Only 5 years ago too. Actually, just done the sums - £5400 pa for 2 bedrooms. You are paying £4800 for 1.

In fact I remember a mate of mine whose dad was a farmer, he bought a 3 bed flat down the bottom end of the Goldhawk Road, opposite a tube station, installed his son and 2 mates, all paying rent. They did very well, he sold after 3 years and cleaned up.

9. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

here landlords oblige the students to take 12 month contracts, regardless of the academic year. And you are looking at £800+ per month for something ok

10. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I hope he is more welcoming than that

11. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

As a student I lived so far from my parents, and was so hard-up, that I couldn't afford to go home during term time. My parents in turn didn't visit me until my graduation ceremony. It's amazing to think how 'hands-off' they were compared to today's parents. My uncle drove me to Lime Street station at the beginning of the first term (my father was at work) and that was it until Christmas.

Woodface likes this.
  12. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I visited daughter twice and for graduation at Durham, drove son down to Reading two or three times in his first year, and graduation. I never even saw the house that he rented with chums in years two and three. They become very independent, and uni years go by in a flash.

Woodface likes this.
  13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I wish mine had. They didn't, it was 3 years of hard time. Not an experience that I ever wish to repeat.

14. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

15. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

What subject did you do?

16. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I meant your kids' ones, not your own...

17. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Whereabouts?
    I'm from Newcastle.
    The Mrs. is from York.
    We both studied in Manchester.
    I'd be happy if my kids went to any of the three.

18. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

It is on Manor Bank, purpose built thing, very central, pretty much the last decent place left. I think the area used to be a bit dodgy back in the day but seems OK, I know the area quite well.

19. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Yup very central.
    He'll be able to walk everywhere. Ideal for first year.

20. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Biochemistry, Imperial.