1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A nice looking pair of JR 149s

Discussion in 'Interesting eBay auctions' started by mandryka, Feb 10, 2019.

1. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

2. Hempknight

Hempknight pfm Member

They do look lovely, Obviouly well looked after (or atleast given a clean before the pics) I expect they will go for atleast £300.

3. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Nice! I’ll have a go at those. Always wanted a pair.

Are these a good version/the ones to go for??

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

They look like a nice pair to me, the only non-standard thing I can see is the black (I assume) tape around the centre, which I guess was placed there to stop a grille resonance, which is quite common. The crossovers are etirely stock and the drivers look as they should be. It is hard to tell if the grilles have every been off, but the staples look clean so likely not. Nothing on show ringing alarm bells anyway.

Rug Doc likes this.
  5. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

One of the crossovers has had an Elcap replaced with a film cap, but not the other. But you probably spotted that.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’d also expect there to be serial numbers on the alloy bottom cap, though I can’t see evidence of any being removed, e.g. see my pair which I think are identical spec and a very similar date:

[​IMG]

(This being before I recapped them)

7. lilolee

lilolee pfm Member

I reckon more like £400. A pair went for 391 a few weeks ago which didnt have foam covers or brackets

8. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

I think you'll be lucky if they stay below £400, they're the nicest pair I've seen for a while and the brackets are bonus.

9. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

I would check that black tape out with the seller if I were bidding. Mine don't have it, I can't hear any resonance, would it be obvious? I always thought that the main advantage of the cylinder is that it reduced resonance. When I first saw it I thought it was just a bit of velcro!

I am very jealous of that foam, and I'm doing everything I can to stop myself spending £120 on new foam for mine.

It may be cheaper to buy these for the foam, and then sell on one of the pairs!

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The open mesh metal grilles can resonate, especially if they have ever been removed and refitted. I have a couple of strategically placed pea-sized blobs of Blu-Tac keeping mine quiet.

PS I paid at least £120 for the foam, but got two sets so I’m hopefully future-proofed (the other pair are sealed in a dark box!). It’s well worth it, they are a beautiful speaker, a real design classic, but only with the correct grilles. They look awful without or with the wrong ones. Buy some, you won’t regret it!

11. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

You are a very bad influence.

Tony L likes this.
  12. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

IIRC Graham Hartle claimed that the Declon(?) foam grilles he sold were UV stable and didn't disintegrate like the originals. I've got two pairs of JR149-sized GH foams and two pairs of JR150-sized GH foams and so far none are showing visible signs of deterioration (they're probably around 10yrs old now). I haven't taken any special precautions apart from keeping them out of sunlight.

On the other hand my NOS JR149mk2's spend most of their time in their box as I'm paranoid about preserving the original foams which I can't believe are still mint after all these years!

Does anyone know why Graham stopped selling the foams? He could be making a decent bit of dosh on them just now!

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The American speaker foam company I used claim to be UV-proof too, but I grabbed two pairs just in case - there wasn’t much difference in price between one and two as it was a custom order to my spec, I guess I should have got say 25 or 50 pairs done and then sold them on with a mark-up! I just wasn’t 100% sure of my measurements so didn’t want to gamble. As it is I got the height bang on, but was maybe 2-3mm too long so they aren’t quite as tight as I’d like. I was determined to get an odd number of bars like the originals (the GH ones are wrong!). I’d actually love to see a real JR pair again to count the bars and as some pics imply they had a slight top and bottom chamfer/bevel, but I can’t remember that from my original pair. I can remember a bar lined up with the logo though!

14. Whaleblue

Whaleblue The Mighty Deoxitiser

Been after a nice pair of these for a while, and had my eye on this pair, but not sure how far to push.

Hmm.

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It is so hard to predict or value as there are inevitable variables/unknowns. I wasn’t in any way disapointed in mine as I wanted a cosmetically good pair and didn’t care in the slightest how much they cost to put right beyond that. I wasn’t expecting to have to replace all the drivers, but in many ways I’m glad I did as the new Falcon remanufacturerd drivers are superb and I have peace of mind that they are working as they should and will continue doing so. I guess I’m about £800-850 all-in now for my pair, but when you factor they are as tidy as any I’ve seen and have the exact same drivers as Falcon’s very well liked and reviewed £2.5k LS3/5As I really don’t think I’ve over-paid. I’ll have them for the rest of my life now, so who cares anyhow! To be honest the only thing that bugs me is I’m missing the top styrofoam bit from their box and the manual!

16. Whaleblue

I have a very specific application in mind, but it depends on life turning out as I hope.

But, for that application they’d be perfect.

17. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Who got it?

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Here’s a rather odd pair with a JR sub (link). I don’t understand what is going on here as they have the baffle foam and dead sheet, and red logos?! Never seen a pair in that configuration before.

19. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

I hope they went to a fish? I’ll buy a pair one day I promise.

20. Whaleblue