1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A nice news story for once.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by George J, Dec 6, 2019.

1. George J

George J Herefordshire member

Are we even allowed any good news among the unremitting gloom?

As half-Norwegian born in England, I find this annual event rather heart-warming, but also somewhat sadly drowned out by the general and real enough gloom, be it political or environmental.

So just please enjoy a few minutes of relief from the encircling gloom.

Best wishes from George

sean99, denni55, calorgas and 4 others like this.
  2. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

A tree donated by Norway as a thank you for Britain not abandoning them in their hour of need. How times change.

Sorry.

3. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Lol

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Don't see too many Christmas trees coming from France. As in 1940, we tried to stem the German tide in Norway (in a much smaller way) and failed. Did we abandon any country at that time?

5. George J

George J Herefordshire member

You can rely on politicians to lower the tone and spoil the niceness of almost any situation. They are all cynical, including Norwegian ones. As far as I can tell from my family connections politicians in Norway are no more highly prized than they are in the UK.

The historical connection between the UK and Norway has existed strongly since Norway gained full independence and autonomy from Sweden before the First World War, but history is no longer thought of as important either in the UK or to some degree even in Norway.

Best wishes from George

richgilb likes this.
  6. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

France?

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

D'you call the B.E.F. and Dunkerque abandoning France? Surely not.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  8. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

It was heartwarming to hope that there might be a connection between the two countries.i never knew about the tree.

There is always enough reason to hope for a good future.

9. chartz

chartz pfm Member

A future where the UK remains European. I wish it with all my heart.

10. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

Me too. But I think there’s a nasty divorce in the offing.

11. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

Ah, but we have never been "European".

12. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Possibly not but there are lot more vineyards in England than there used to be.

13. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Some of us have.

davcoll and Nick_G like this.
  14. mjw

mjw pfm Member

Nice post, George. I was dismayed subsequently to learn of the churlish mean-spiritedness of a few who described it as a ‘turkey’ owing to its sparseness of foliage. Such people should remember that it’s a gift from one country to another and shut the f**k up.

davcoll likes this.
  15. mjw

mjw pfm Member

P.s. the guy on the video, did he really keep referring to ‘zee Germans’?

16. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I suspect that the mean-spirited people didn't even know the history of the tree in Trafalgar Square, and thought they were having a go at the London Mayor. Which is not to excuse them; they should know about these things, these are the sort of important ties that bind us to our European neighbours, and we shouldn't forget.

Barrymagrec likes this.
  17. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I saw it yesterday, does look a bit scraggy compared to previous years. Nevertheless it is a kind gift from the people of Norway.

18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Didn't know about the British connection when Norway became independent (must look that up), but thought the tree was as a consequence of our involvement in the second w.w.

We'll always be European by our geography and I believe that friendship/cooperation since 1945 will continue. We don't need to be tied to a grand yet questionable political idea for that to happen, though.

If we haven't, we have certainly become so in part due to European immigration in recent decades.:)

But maybe not so many Christmas trees. I quite like pine in my wine (retsina) but it's an acquired taste :)

19. Joe

Joe pfm Member

“Fog in Channel; Continent Isolated”

Martyn Miles likes this.
  20. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Will Boris be attached to the top of the tree ?
    It would keep him out of mischief...