1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A question for Leave voters

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ks.234, Sep 28, 2019.

?

Leave voters, in 2016 did you vote for:

1. Leaving with No Deal

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Leaving with a Deal

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

I saw this in the I yesterday. Disappointing anount of unnamed sourcing in that story. Hope it is true, though.

2. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I don't think we could blame the EU, but we'd have to know more about the metrics used by the Social Metrics Commission before we could comment in any meaningful way. The reports didn't seem very clear to me on this.

The Social Metrics Commission is an independent Commission formed to develop a new approach to poverty measurement that both better reflects the nature and experiences of poverty that different families in the UK have, and can be used to build a consensus around poverty measurement and action in the UK.

3. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

It was intriguing even so. (Did you expect direct quotes from the Queen? ;) )

This section was concerning:

'Some experts believe that only in the circumstances in which it could be shown by Parliament that an alternative prime minister can muster a majority, the Queen could require Mr Johnson to resign.

Others, however, argue that the Fixed Terms Parliament Act allows a sitting prime minister to recommend an election date after that 14-day period and therefore Mr Johnson could drag out proceedings in the absence of a clear power for the monarch to dismiss him.'

So, what looks like happening is that:

(a) Boris will not request an extension from Brussels.
    (b) A vote of no-confidence against the government will be won.
    (c) Boris will then refuse to resign (even though there appears to be parliamentary support for an alternative government) and will demand an election instead.

The democrisis will then be total. The courts may rule against him, but Boris and his supporters will just claim it is all political and ignore them. With the country split 50/50 there is no way Queen is going to venture into this, and it is hard to see how any judgement could be physically enforced. At this point, the EU will not want to touch this democratic basket case with a bargepole either.

As Boris has pinned all on leaving on October 31st, and the opposition has pinned all on preventing this, it is hard to see how any compromise could be brokered. The opposition should have taken the election when it was still possible to hold it before October 31st. Now it is too late.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Kind regards

- Garry

4. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Some experts believe, one source said, an unnamed source said. Sources said.

It's bollocks really. Shame, I like The I and the BBC normally, as I don't notice the unknown source scam anywhere near as much as all the other wesbites.

5. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

“Some people are saying...”

6. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

I has now been told.....

7. julifriend

julifriend pfm Member

It’s been done before. William IV sacked Lord Melbourne in 1834. It’s about time it was done again. Should’ve been done a couple of years ago, but better late than never.

ff1d1l likes this.
  8. glancaster

Lord Melbourne became PM again a mere six months after he was sacked, and then led for another six years. A couple of years into his second term, the king who sacked him died, to be replaced by Queen Victoria, who came to consider Melbourne a father figure, despite his regret over the abolition of slavery, and his chaotic and scandalous personal life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lamb,_2nd_Viscount_Melbourne#Prime_Minister:_1834,_1835–1841

It's not an entirely reassuring precedent.

MikeMA likes this.
  9. lagavullin10y

lagavullin10y pfm Member

And if it all fails, the Dutch can send their King William on a wooden ship:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorious_Revolution

10. julifriend

julifriend pfm Member

Indeed it is not a great precedent. But six months BoJo-free time would likely be enough for now. And it sounds like BoJo has been using Lord Melbourne as a template reference his personal life.

11. glancaster

There certainly are parallels. Melbourne wasn’t considered a great PM but his Wikipedia page is excellent entertainment.