1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A sane, calm voice in strange times.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by George J, Mar 20, 2020.

1. George J

George J Herefordshire member

I have been following this man's youtube channel for some time.

Here he is talking to a German News Organisation.

Please listen to this doctor.

Best wishes from George

mikemusic, Paulicus, Gromit and 4 others like this.
  2. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

All total common-sense.
    Maybe have on a loop in Tesco's etc.?

3. Bart

Bart pfm Member

Common sense is (sadly) not all that common!

Rana likes this.
  4. Nero

Nero BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK

I'm not used to a lack of hyperbole any more. Refreshing.

5. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

i am turning to donald trump for this sort of thing.

6. George J

A calm and quiet voice is much more powerful than a shouting voice, or exaggerated words.

I can only hope that somehow this man is heard in the halls of power everywhere in the World.

Keep safe, and best wishes from George

7. cpg

cpg pfm Member

Very sound honest advice, I took in that 6 months of reduced social contact is required.
    Unfortunately it does not answer the question of how we get through 6 months AND keep the economy running!

It will be very "interesting" to see if the 3rd world, doing nothing (as they have no facilities to do anything) and letting the virus take it's rapid course of infection (mass graves etc), gets over the pandemic quicker than the western world.

We are all "guinea pigs" in this worldwide experiment. When will we start taking the risk of having an untested vaccination, assuming that one is available similar to the test in the US, over sitting it out?

I hope all governments start a scheme where people who have recovered from the illness (immune) help the people who have not yet had the virus.

8. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

First UK vaccine trials in a month or two.

Immunity after infection that lasts a significant period, reduced transmission during warmer weather, and very much besides, are entirely presumption based upon other viruses and are by no means guaranteed.

9. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

immune you say?
    With any authority or just hope?

10. George J

Isn't that the point? Even now there are many unknowns. We know we don't know all the answers, and so necessarily there must be an element of hope that there will be immunity for those who recover ... based on other known viruses, where immunity [if not lifelong] tends to happen.

There may not be significant immunity in some or all cases, and some people already seem to have caught the virus more than once, though I would tend to think that if you survived the first time you are likely enough to survive the second. Though, of course, I do not know this for a fact either.

Best wishes from George

11. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

With younger populations, I’d expect them to get over the pandemic quicker than the western world.

12. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

It is very difficult to cross compare worldwide. Japan is an interesting one, they don’t really seem able to do social distancing but the fatality rates have been very low. I thought India would have been an epidemic but it appears to not be the case.

Ultimately the only people who know all the answers are found on Twitter;)

tqineil likes this.
  13. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Japan is one of the healthiest countries in the world. Look at their obesity rate. India has at least 10 years lower life expectancy than the UK. Some would say we have a health service that, incredibly, keeps us living longer and longer despite people’s best efforts to the contrary. It would seem this virus is catching up with the lifestyles of the western world.

14. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-health-minister-helped-save-it-from-covid-19

The key is early, aggressive suppression via lockdown, test and trace etc.

This has been known since day one. It's no great mystery.

Other factors (population density, age and health profile...) play a part but, there's no substitute for strong leadership.

The

15. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Life expectancy in India is under 70. If that was the case in the UK, I would expect C19 to be far less of a problem.

16. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

4 (four!) deaths in Kerala with a population of 30 million.

That's one hell of an explanatory burden to place on life expectancy when other factors are, as it were, right in front of your nose.

In any case a quick look at leading causes of death in India shows heart disease etc. to be well up there.

Fast aggressive suppression of the virus is the decisive factor, and that relies on the effective leadership.

17. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I am not sure this applies to Japan or India, there appears to be other factors, but I agree you need a test, track & trace regime at the outset. We never had the capacity or leadership which is one of the reasons why we are in such a mess.

18. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

I listened to the man in the video.

It is opinion from over 2 months ago. What is it that I should listen to especially?

He mentions the use of antibiotics to treat the virus, and also states that we cannot treat the virus.
    (antibiotics can treat secondary bacterial infections which may exacerbate the symptoms)

George, I appreciate that you may obtain reassurance from opinion on youtube. Good for you.

I avoid stuff like that, it can only add to any anxiety to chase opinions until I find one that I agree with.

19. George J

Dear Big Tabbs,

The thread is two months old!

It is in the nature of threads that they come back, sometimes long after they contain current information.

However John Campbell is s source of daily useful information on Youtube. Yesterday he discussed an immunity report as published by the Korean Health Authority, where of course they have been rather more successful than most in dealing with Covid 19.

I'll leave it up to you to look it up or not ...

Best wishes from George

Eyebroughty likes this.
  20. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

This is my point.

As long as you feel it is necessary to monitor C-19 comment, you put yourself in a loop of sourcing information that (in my opinion) can feed anxiety.

I'll leave it up to you as to whether you take heed or not.