1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A thread about Braces...oh yes!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by madmike, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:26 AM.

1. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

After getting a new suit recently I had a trouser problem in that my pants would slip down unless my belt was really tight, and with a tight belt it made me look like a sack of spuds tied up.
    So I reverted to using my old red braces instead which provide a much better option to keep me pants up and look business like at the same time.
    I know you're all fashionable hipsters from that there London so what is the form really? Does anyone else use braces?

2. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

This is a very niche thread, I bet doesn’t hold up!

zarniwoop likes this.
  3. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I buy trousers that go over my paunch...

Rockmeister likes this.
  4. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

I favour the american term "suspenders" for my gallus' requirements, it's so uplifting...

5. zippy

zippy pfm Member

So I'm not the only one who suffers from this problem.
    Yes I use braces almost all the time - I have a 'posh' set for everyday use, and a double-strength set for gardening etc.
    My wife laughs at them, I can't imagine why, they look OK to me.

I claim medical reasons though - I have dodgy insides and a really tight belt aggravates them.

Wearers take care though: I nearly put my eye out once when one of the clips came loose.

Rockmeister likes this.
  6. zippy

zippy pfm Member

p.s. what's the proper term ?
    A pair of braces or a set of braces ??

7. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

A brace of brace.

8. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

[​IMG]

9. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

I have around 5 pairs. I never wear them seen, always under a top or overshirt/jacket. They are different colours to suit the tops so they are part disguised.
    Makes the trousers hang properly and also helps to disguise/flatten my less than manly breasts.

Bloss

I feel better than JB

10. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Braces were quite fashionable back in the 1990s. I still have several pairs hanging in the wardrobe along with ties which I no longer wear.

If you do wear braces make sure they have proper leather button fixings - and you'll need buttons on your trousers too - and not those ghastly metal clip things which are totally plebian.

Bob McC likes this.
  11. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

I use them a lot since having keyhole surgery, a belt always irritated one of the holes.

Only use them on trousers though, if my pants are falling down that's usually because they're the wrong size.

Don't need them with shorts unless the pockets are overfilled so only once in the last six months.

12. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Sounds like the elastic's gone. I find M+S pants quite durable in this regard.

13. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

14. madmike

My pants slip down because I have a slim figure and narrow hips. I don't need to unhitch when going to the loo for a number 2 as I can just slide them on and off. So a belt has to be quite tight to do any good. Seems like I am in good company hereabouts!

blossomchris likes this.
  15. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

Not braces, but I use an elasticated belt - Dickies belt

16. madmike

And lo and behold the advert strap line above is now showing a picture of a chap wearing braces...the magic of the internet!

17. mbrian

mbrian pfm Member

Yes definitely braces. I don't like that pressure round the mid regions you get with belts. Only my adult daughters find them mildly embarrasing for some strange reason. My wife thinks they suit me.

zippy likes this.
  18. zippy

zippy pfm Member

That's the big question - with braces on, how to manage number 2's without having to do a striptease first..!

19. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

I wear braces and have several pairs in solid colours. They require buttons sewing into trousers. Mainly worn when wearing a suit or casually dressed - pants & waistcoats etc.
    They're not normally on show.
    My everyday braces are gray military uniform ones.

I don't have a muffin top. I simply can't be doing with anything tight around my waist.

I suppose I'm a well dressed dad.

20. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

They were even more popular in the late 60's, the 90's yuppies with braces looked like wallies to me.

The ghastly metal clips are always modified in the workshop to ensure they grip firmly, never had an issue that I could not rectify. If you add the buttons to trousers I always find they rub and ruck up your tops/shirts.

Bloss