1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A thread about Braces...oh yes!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by madmike, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

They were wallies - nothing directly to do with the braces.

2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

yes they needed braces to hold up trousers, that were weighed down with bulging wallets, overfull filo-faeces and brick mobile phones

3. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

not a yuppie, but similar attitudes

Bloss

gintonic likes this.
  4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Don't like them personally but they can look OK if worn correctly as opposed to the hipster trope. I usually buy jeans slightly too big on the waist as I have quite big thighs, a belt works fine.

5. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Braces are OK as long as you wear them with trousers designed for them, ie no belt loops.

MikeMA likes this.
  6. blossomchris

?????

Bloss

7. Seeker_UK

I thought it was pretty self explanatory; braces should only be worn with trousers with side tabs (they'll usually have buttons to attach the braces to). Clip-on braces with trousers with belt loops are a no-no unless you're a lumberjack.

Whatever next? Brown shoes with a business suit?

MikeMA likes this.
  8. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

peng blud

9. scolarest

scolarest pfm Member

Bespoke suits from Saville Row always have side tabs and buttons for braces. In that way the trouser hang correctly.

FWIW Bruce Crompton's collection of braces for the hirsute male are a case in point.

10. blossomchris

I do not get what you are saying, why would you wear braces with belt loops trousers without concealing the waist band, what do you think this is 1990 or the 1920's which may be more applicable in your case.

Bloss

11. Seeker_UK

It's probably the only thing he gets right. Some of his colour combinations are a bit shouty.

12. scolarest

scolarest pfm Member

[​IMG]

Just for you Seeker.

13. blossomchris

spot on, although a bit of straw hanging out here and there would be more accurate

Bloss

14. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

I like them for suits, with the trousers made for them: buttons attached properly, and a fishtail back.

15. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

I have several pairs of braces, including my dads old army braces.

It depends on the trouser, I believe those with a long 'rise' benefit from braces. (high-waisted)

I wear shirts untucked and tucked in, so depends whether I choose belt or braces. All my braces are block colour, nothing garish.

naimplayer likes this.
  16. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Maybe an extra fly around the back ?

17. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Quite right. No belt loops and a little gusset and belt at the back to adjust the width. They should be made for braces, with six buttons (4 front, 2 back) for the braces. They hang much better than trousers with a belt. Braces with metal clips are just horrible!

MikeMA likes this.
  18. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Best worn by girls IMO :)

19. blossomchris

The braces with buttons are for clowns and jokers

Bloss

20. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

On reflection, I think there are two ways of adjusting the waistband: on the sides, with little buckles or little buttons, or at the back with a V-shaped opening and a buckle. Ah, a long-standing debate: should the pleats of the trousers face out, or in? And what about turn-ups? And trouser length?