1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A thread about Braces...oh yes!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by madmike, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Long enough to make the trouser break once.

[​IMG]

Big Tabs, MikeMA and TheDecameron like this.
  2. Schnitger

Schnitger pfm Member

I wear belts in summer and braces in winter. You have to be quite bold and 'wear them with pride', laughing off those who think you look like an idiot and content that your lunch will digest much more comfortably.

Comfort is the deciding factor. Quite apart from trousers hanging better with braces, belts are constricting around the waste, and I say this as a thin chap.

If they're done well, braces look great - if they're good enough for 007, they're good enough for me (he wears Albert Thurstons by the way).

3. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Now that you mention it, Sean Connery never wore braces (would have got tangled up with his holster when he went to the loo) but in the first three films he had beautifully cut suits and.....trousers with no belt or braces, but something on the sides to adjust. Maybe that is the "final solution." It was probably an early-sixties thing, pity my father is no longer around to be interrogated.

4. GrahamB

GrahamB pfm Member

I wear button braces every day, never wear a belt, nothing more comfortable. I have a range of colours and think they look smart. I have reached an age, 53, where I am not really worried what others think.

5. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

@PaulMB if you want the full James Bond (Daniel Craig) look. It's a pair of Albert Thurston braces you need and a Tom Ford dinner suit. ;-)

6. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

For me only Sean Connery will ever "be" James Bond.

7. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Besides, braces are braces. They should not be "designer" braces.

Paulicus likes this.
  8. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

really? waist?

9. Schnitger

Schnitger pfm Member

Whoops, finger trouble. I've not tried putting a belt on a number 2. Braces yes, belts no.

10. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

I just misread your name as schitinger, seemed fitting

11. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Once you have a belly you see the practical value in braces. It took me 50 years to get mine for the first time and I’ve no intention of getting rid of it now.

12. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Braces or belly what do you want to get rid of, confused here, are you on drugs man!

Bloss

13. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Belly and braces go together like a horse and carriage

14. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Suits you sir!

15. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Something baffles me: did you not try the suit on before buying it? Or do they sell suits on Amazon now, S, M, L, XL?

16. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I'm hugely impressed by the level of trouser knowledge and etiquette displayed in this thread. It's good to know that such standards are being maintained when all around us is a morass of ill fitting oxymoronic jogging pants and trainers.

MartinC likes this.
  17. gintonic

great for a night out. The trend for fitted joggers is way more comfortable.

18. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

I'm impressed too. But pr
    I expect it is all theoretical. Gleaned from old Evelyn Waugh novels, dubious websites about sartorial style, and dimly remembered rules of our fathers and grandfathers. I'm now wearing a bathrobe and Crocs after a bath, but may put on a T-shirt and jeans "for dinner."

19. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Comfort is for softies, you need an edge, smart clothes can only do this and go against the flow

Bloss

20. gintonic

I dont own any smart clothes at all. Jeans and T-shirt is the best it gets, even for a 3 michelin star restaurant. There are two I know of I the UK who require shirt/tie and jacket and they wont be getting my custom.