1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A thread for forthcoming vinyl releases...

Discussion in 'music' started by windhoek, Sep 20, 2016.

1. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

A lot of the stuff in the Box Set is either material that was overlooked in the recent reissue program or was unreleased. The Mute reissues I've heard/bought are really very good, so are probably going to be better than a 30 - 40 year old LP unless you are very lucky to find one in minty condition. I've got all the original Factory and A&M LPs and singles in very decent condition. I have been very selective with the Mute reissues, focusing on the Rob's Records LPs, which were released while I lived in Australia and were unobtanium down there.

In general, ACR LPs are not too expensive second hand so you might be able to save a bit by buying second hand.

Ibbots likes this.
  2. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

Great thanks for that.

PS: Force and I'd Like to See You Again re's ordered from Norman Records

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    htm_1968 likes this.
  3. MarkW

MarkW Full Speed & Pagan

This may float yer boats, vinyl lovers

https://elliotgalvin.bandcamp.com/album/modern-times

The Elliot Galvin Trio. Recorded, mixed and cut direct to disk, this is a very good recording, very live and dynamic, no post production at all. Each side of the record is one continuous take, no edits or other tomfoolery.

I don't have the vinyl, only the flac download as I don't have a gramophone to decode vinyl any more.

(The blurb claims it's recorded "direct to vinyl" though I suspect it would be too arduous to reproduce the performance and record it every time someone orders the record...)

4. Joe

Joe pfm Member

What does cut direct to disc mean?

Do they have several ( some ) cutting lathes going at once to do this ?

I have never grasped the concept. ( bit thick )

5. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

[​IMG]

Triple Live LP featuring the Decades show from MCR International Festival shows of 2017 and the Decades film. No Amazon presale link available yet. I'll update the thread when one appears. Release date is July 12th.

6. kevinrt

kevinrt pfm Member

New Kate Rusby album out today. Website still says pre-order, but it’s on Tidal if you want a listen before buying.

http://katerusby.com/

Kevin

7. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

8. johnv

johnv pfm Member

Is the new Mavis Staples a good one to get on vinyl?

9. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

Instead of recording to tape or digital , engineer cuts directly to disc/lacquers
    major problems huge cost , no overdubs & one take live performance
    in the old days every record was done this way

10. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

11. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

12. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

13. matt j

matt j pfm Member

14. Joe

Joe pfm Member

matt j likes this.
  15. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

Norma Tanega's 1966 album 'Walkin' My Cat Named Dog' has recently been re-released on vinyl for t'1st time.
    It features the song 'Your Dead', which was the theme tune for 'What We Do In The Shadows' tv series.
    It's a cracker imo.

16. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Remainiac Traitor

If you needed any further encouragement, the record is bright green.

17. Still

:=) I couldn't resist buying the record, but it's not as bright green as Swamp Thing might desire.

18. Swamp Thing

Let the people judge...

[​IMG]
    Version 3

19. Still

Mea Culpa. Extremely foolish of me to try and humansplain bright green to Swamp Thing.

[​IMG]

20. Swamp Thing

Other greens are available...

[​IMG]
    IMG 0213

I'm now going to have to check my record collection for green vinyl. A couple of recent ones were green-ish, maybe an older David Sylvian and an Ozric Tentacles...

Still likes this.