1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A thread for great choral videos

Discussion in 'classical' started by tones, Aug 21, 2018.

1. tones

tones Tones deaf

No argument there, Alan - always happy to be acquainted with new (to me) stuff, so keep it coming.

2. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

One of my favourites, based on ancient Assyrian inscriptions uncovered at Nineveh.

3. tones

tones Tones deaf

Another old favourite, also based on ancient writings, if not quite so old as Assyrian - Carl Orff's Carmina Burana:

The collection of 11th-13th century poems were discovered in the monastery of Benediktbeueren in Bavaria in the early 19th century, They are generally bawdy and irreverent, probably written by students. Whether the originals were ever set to music, or what they would have sounded like, is not known, but Orff's work, debuted in 1936, is an remains a great crowd pleaser.

4. tones

tones Tones deaf

Henry Purcell's wonderfully noble Te Deum:

5. tones

tones Tones deaf

A superb concert from Peter Philips' Tudor Choristers in the chapel of the Mont St.-Michel:

6. tones

tones Tones deaf

Thomas Tallis's famous 40-part motet Spem in alium, by Harry Christophers and the Rather More Than Sixteen:

7. tones

tones Tones deaf

Back with the Tallis Scholars, unfortunately not live, but a lovely performance. Palestrina's Missa Papae Marcelli was written at a critical time in the history of church music - the Council of Trent was seriously contemplating banning polyphonic music, because some folk said it was too involved and was beyond the comprehension of worshippers, diverting them from proper worship:

Hans Pfitzner even wrote an opera Palestrina on the subject. The danger to church music was actually much exaggerated, but it made for a good story.

8. tones

tones Tones deaf

Israel in Egypt was one of Handel's first oratorios. It tends to be forgotten that operas in the Italian style comprised something like one-third of Handel's output. When the vogue for them collapsed, Handel was in severe financial trouble. The answer was oratorio - no staging, no costumes.

Israel is noted for its marvellous choruses, which shows Handel at his dramatic best - just listen to He spake the word - and there came all manner of flies at 10:26, with the strings doing fly impersonations, and the thunderous He gave them hailstones for rain at 12:30, and the marvellous final chorus The Lord shall reign for ever and ever at 1:19:30. Interesting that Handel used trombones to give the brass extra rasp.

As one commentator said, it's a shame to see so many empty seats for such wonderful music. Interesting (and sad) to see that, in the Swiss Trogen Bach cantata series, the audience is composed mainly of oldies. Some education needed.