1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A Thread for New Jazz

Discussion in 'music' started by kjb, Feb 6, 2016.

1. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

darrenyeats likes this.
  2. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

If anyone was interested, hi res available at bandcamp. Just enjoyed the album again this afternoon.

3. hermit

hermit pfm Member

4. Baggawire

Baggawire Active Member

Really enjoying this little lot at the moment:
    Universal Beings (LP) - Makaya McCraven
    There is a Place (LP) - Maisha
    Camden Sessions (LP) - Butcher Brown
    Amethyst (12") - Harvey Sutherland
    Mosaic (12") - The Expansions

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    hermit likes this.
  5. Minio

Minio pfm Member

Interesting thread. I've lost count of the people who say "I hate jazz!"

Try listening, I say.

It doesn't help, I suppose, that most audio systems, at whatever end of the market, are optimised for rock or grime and not jazz.

At the moment I'm luvvin' Collective Order vol2. Great musicianship (there's quite a lot of them) and singing with a whole range of influences from Maldau, Winstone, Garbarek and so forth.

Excellent recording quality too.

torstoi likes this.
  6. Baggawire

Baggawire Active Member

A trio of current LPs I rate highly:
    Smoke Signals - Kerbside Collective
    My East Is Your West - Sarathy Korwar & Upaj Collective
    Shiroi - Mansur Brown

7. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

8. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

9. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

10. kjb

kjb pfm Member

I’m streaming the Makaya McCraven record at the moment. It’s a great example of the joy of end of year lists: records that you wouldn’t otherwise have come across that are better than most other things you’d bought that year. It is an really fine record and will be on order very soon.

paulfromcamden and gavreid like this.
  11. kjb

kjb pfm Member

Another one I've only picked up from end of year reviews - in this case Richard Williams in The Blue Moment -

Ambrose Akinmusire "Origami Harvest".

A modern fusion music - if you've not heard it before and play the first 5 minutes you'll be quite surprised where this one goes. Some gorgeous trumpet playing behind it all.

And, another type of fusion, this:

which was Jazzwise's best of 2018, has me slightly baffled ( but then Jazzwise choices often baffle me). I love Lucinda Williams and Charles Lloyd and Bill Frisell but together... not so sure - could become a bit of a guilty pleasure.

Kevin

jackbarron likes this.
  12. kjb

kjb pfm Member

Here's link to a track via YouTube, I think from the London session.

13. hermit

hermit pfm Member

Colin L, kjb and jackbarron like this.
  14. hockman

hockman pfm Member

There is so much mediocre derivative stuff out there. Not sure if Awase has been mentioned yet but am surprised that it has not come up more often.

Colin L, unit and kjb like this.
  15. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Member

[​IMG]

Listening to Sons of Kemet with Shabaka Hutchings and going to see him in another of his bands, The Comet is Coming, next month. Interesting stuff and will be good to see this combo of sax, drums and electronica/pyschedelic keyboards and programming.
    Cool website graphics : http://www.thecometiscoming.co.uk/

16. Baggawire

Baggawire Active Member

Theon Cross, Sons of Kemet's tuba player, drops his own LP "Fyah" next month too. Off to see him at London's Corsica Studios on 15th Feb.

mikechadwick likes this.
  17. kjb

kjb pfm Member

I looked up Ashley Henry after enjoying his playing on the Makaya McCraven record.

This version of the Nas tune is pretty impressive. I'm definitely going to check out some more of his stuff.

18. dave charlton

dave charlton pfm member

Maybe not jazzy enough but I like Shai Maesrto and Alfa Mist

hermit, James Evans and kjb like this.
  19. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

Just listening now and yes, its excellent.
    In a similar vein you might try Quiver by Ron Miles, with "the guitar god that is" Bill Frisell, and Brian Blade on drums.

hermit likes this.
  20. dave charlton

dave charlton pfm member